I eat at Burrito King completely sober and I love it

Best burritos in Chambana

When the drinks run dry and the songs begin to repeat, you know the night is about to come to a close, but we can’t retire just yet. Most of us hear a faint call to stop and feast in ways we wouldn’t during our uh, soberer moments. With food that puts Taco Bell to shame, there’s really only one place I need go before scaling the ladder to my lofted bed: Burrito King.

Burrito King is an establishment reserved for the elite of UIUC’s campus, people who have tapped into the truth of the phrase “treat yo’self”

Upon suggestion, it isn’t easy to convince others that an extra large platter of Mexican food is what their body is asking for, but it is exactly what I need to close out a long night. Gracing oneself with grease and generously sized deep fried whatever is certainly a gift.

I’ve chosen to look past the limiting term “drunk food” and visit Burrito King at anytime I’m feeling a fresh salsa pick-me-up. By unlocking the doors to what can only be described as a royal treatment, you too can experience the joy of extra queso any day of the week.

A little more than halfway down Green Street, past the standard been-there-done-that restaurants, Burrito King stands apart. Visiting during the day casts new light and reveals a charm that is usually overlooked in the middle of the night. At the heart of every avocado is a Burrito King, as implied by Guacamole Green colored walls. This combined with the Spanish music convinces the slow stream of customers  to sit and stay awhile. After all, your next lecture isn’t for another hour, and the worn-in booths and free salsa beats any library you could be sitting in.

Ahh, such bliss

An underrated Champaign staple, Burrito King won’t break your bank. In fact,  you almost always leave with leftovers, just the thing to bring a distressed roommate back to her happy place or coax yourself out of bed on a cold winter morning. The flavor packed between corn tortillas is an honest reminder of the healing qualities of real food.

Whether you’re big on carnitas or a vegetarian through-and-through, eating out during the week is a comfort mechanism that can turn the worst days into fiestas. Maybe you’ve seen the food truck and never thought to stop by or you’ve always come a few blocks short. Whatever the case, it is time to change the ways of only eating Burrito King while drunk. I’m confident in the truth that there is never a bad time for a side of rice and beans. It’s a reminder that yes, you are worth the extra calories.

University of Illinois national-us