What’s going down at Primal Scream tonight

We have many traditions and one of them is streaking around the Yard before finals

As reading period comes to a close, a Harvard tradition begins. Going to a school with over 360 years of history is bound to have some unorthodox traditions. One of them happens to be Primal Scream. To the unsuspecting frosh, Primal Scream can be quite a horrific site – hundreds of undergrads lined up in the yard, rowdy, inebriated, oh, and naked.

There’s no need to be alarmed: here are some things you can expect from Primal Scream.

The Harvard band only wears the top half of their uniform (credit: G. Migliore)

Expect a large crowd round 12am if you live in the Yard

Whether you’re doing some last minute cramming for finals or catching up on some much needed sleep, expect to see a large crowd in the yard round midnight.

Expect an atmosphere equivalent to The Game

You know how the game brings together students and alumni in a festive atmosphere? You can pretty much expect the same from primal scream. Be prepared to confront drunks in various states of intoxication and alumni who creepily gather to take part in the event (whether running or spectating). Oh also expect lots of “U-S-A” and “HAR-VARD” chants.

Expect the band

What large gathering of the Harvard community would be complete with an appearance from the Harvard band? The band feeds substance to the fact hundreds can gather festively to watch a bunch of their classmates run around naked. Expect various arrangements of pop and holiday tunes to be played.

(credit: G. Migliore)

Expect the unexpected

You know that one kid who’s always asleep in class? Or the other kid who volunteers regularly with the PBHA? Maybe even the kid from your entryway who you regularly say hi to every morning but still don’t know his name? Don’t be surprised if you see any of these kids run the scream. If you’re an upperclassman, why don’t you gather your entire blocking group and go out for a night of mutual bonding!

This kid will probably do the scream and so will the kid above him

Expect to feel uncomfortable

Primal Scream can be really fun but also uncomfortably awkward. For runners, it’ll be dark and you’ll be spending the night trying not to shove your genitalia inadvertently into another runner. For spectators, you can cope with the fact you may or may not see your peer advising fellow nude.

So whether you’re running, spectating, or just using this as an excuse to get drunk the night before finals (because really, who couldn’t use a depressant before embarking on an impending doom), at the end of the day we’ll all have to deal with our dreaded finals.

Try not to trip.

Harvard