UF cancels classes until Saturday morning

All classes starting after 4 p.m. today will be canceled until Saturday morning

An alert was sent to students this afternoon granting what every student has been wishing for: no class tomorrow.

UF will be canceling classes and closing offices in Gainesvile/Alachua County at 4 p.m. today until Saturday morning.

However, students should still attend classes for the next couple of hours even if they end after 4.p.m. today, unless notified by a professor.

In the campus-wide email UF provided further information about what to do during tropical storm Hermine:

• Do not travel towards the storm. Be aware that a broad area will be impacted by the storm so we suggest staying in Gainesville. Travel will be hazardous.
  • Stay inside.
  • Charge your cell phone and other devices before the storm starts in case you lose electricity.
  • Never use candles during a storm. Remember, they are a violation of the Conduct Code if lit in a campus building.
  • You may want to consider moving valuable items away from windows or to the floor in case of wind/rain damage.

UF also notified students that SNAP will not be operating Thursday night but will operate on Friday night 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. if weather conditions are safe. Bus schedules will vary depending on wind speeds. Dining halls across campus will close at 8 p.m. on Thursday should reopen Friday morning by 9 a.m.

In emotional distress students should contact housing staff, U Matter We Care, and the Counseling and Wellness Center counselor on call (352-392-1575).

UF also assured students that “University Police and other essential personnel will be on campus during the storm for the safety and security of the UF community.”

Stay safe, Gators.

University of Florida: UF