Gainesville and Flint, Michigan have more in common than you think

A recent study found UF’s campus is at a very high risk for lead exposure

Almost everyone has heard about the crisis effecting residents of Flint, Michigan in the past couple of months. Dangerously high lead content of their water has caused panic and outrage in this American city, an issue that has gone on for about two years now with legal action just recently being taken.

In light of this crisis, Vox and the Washington State Department of Health teamed up to create an interactive map that identifies areas all around the country that are at risk of lead exposure. While this map does not signify an explicit link to the water supply, it remains a sobering reminder that the issues we see on the news are closer than we may initially think.

As for Gainesville, the lead exposure risk is high. In the Turlington area as well as Midtown, the risk is a 9/10. Sorority row area is even higher with a surprising 10/10 risk. The age of the buildings in these areas, one of the main factors used to create this map, may explain the shockingly high scores (lead is more likely to be in the paint of older buildings). The idea that these are the places we live, learn, eat and drink in is, ironically enough, somewhat hard to swallow.

A glimpse at UF’s campus and surrounding areas such as sorority row, where lead exposure risk is high

It is also worth mentioning that this map does not account for everyone. For those living in brand new apartment complexes or dorms on campus, a 9 or 10/10 score may not apply to them. However, it is surprising and sad to see that lead exposure risk is prevalent in Gainesville and many other college towns around the country.

No need to panic; there is no pressing threat to Gators’ health or any sort of guarantee that this map goes hand in hand with lead poisoning. Nevertheless, it is always important to be educated and vigilant about risks and issues in our community. Hopefully crises like the one in Michigan can be avoided in the future with the help of technology such as this.

University of Florida: UF