Have you mastered Dartmouth’s secret art of flitzing?

‘Every successful flitzer must learn the balance between trying too hard and not trying hard enough’

For some Dartmouth students, flitzing (flirting over blitz) is a way of life.

For 19s or 20s (yikes) reading this…

Flitzes:

• Can be used for a variety of circumstances
  • Usually convey some kind of romantic interest to another Dartmouth student via blitz (email)

Whether you’re on a last minute hunt for a formal date, or are looking to break the ice with a romantic dinner date for your 10A crush, flitzing is the way to go. But be warned, it can go very wrong…

Depending on the situation, you must carefully navigate how much effort is put into the flitz. Every successful flitzer must learn the balance between trying too hard and not trying hard enough – for some people it can take years of failure before they master this art.

Flitz strategy:

• The most successful flitzes are unique, short, funny, and open ended
  • Spend some time sending a few hilarious flitzes, each with a personal touch, instead of sending out 100 generic coffee flitzes to people who barely know

This is a bad flitz… You’re trying to hard.

The first time I thought about sending a flitz, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to write about. The first flitzes I wrote wrote sucked because they were sent without a clear purpose.

A successful flitz is always sent with an end goal in mind: do you want to set up a formal date? Find a study buddy ;)?

Once you understand what you hope to get out of the flitz convey this message in a funny, creative fashion.

Be bold, send poetic prose…

Haiku reads: want to Get Shitfaced? What a rad time together; brah come to formal?

Even if your flitzee does not respond, you have probably made them feel good about themselves. Don’t get too down on yourself if you don’t get a response, it happens.

Sending a flitz is always a great way to put a smile on someone’s face and to let them know someone cares about them. Successful flitzers spread joy and laughter around the Dartmouth community.

I was shocked to learn alumni were no longer able to look up the names of their classmates by typing their first names into blitz. Apparently, this directory lookup service only works for the four years you are here.

Take advantage of this service and send a couple of flitzes over break to students you care about. Refine your skills now so you are a master in a few weeks when winter term is here.

Happy flitzing!

Dartmouth