More people should appreciate Bensonhurst, Brooklyn’s hidden gem

It’s quaint getaway from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan and Brooklyn’s gentrification

“Bensonhurst?”

That’s the usual response when I tell someone where I live, followed by a perplexed facial expression and scratch of the head as I elaborate.

Located in South Brooklyn, Bensonhurst lies between the more popular neighborhoods of Bay Ridge and Coney Island.  Due to the predominantly Italian population throughout the 20th century, Bensonhurst was formerly known as the Little Italy of Brooklyn. However, the neighborhood increasingly diversified in the 90s. Much of the Italian community relocated to the suburbs of Staten Island and New Jaisy, but there are still some old school Italian shops around.

Annnnnd they filmed Saturday Night Fever here

Currently, Bensonhurst is referred to as “Brooklyn’s Second Chinatown.” For those of you left wondering, Sunset Park holds the winning title. While the neighborhood is generally inhabited by Russian, Chinese and Arab communities, there are a slew of Chinese businesses along 18th avenue and 86th street that justify the comparison.

Caesar’s Bay is another great feature of Bensonhurst. At any time of year, you’ll find people there having picnics, fishing, exercising or simply studying the sea while seated on a bench. I frequent the area when I feel like going for a scenic bike ride or lengthy stroll. Caesar’s Bay stretches from one end of Bensonhurst all the way past the Verrazano Bridge and through Bay Ridge. On Bensonhurst’s end, there’s a popular shopping center with a few large stores and fast food spots. In warmer weather, you can always find an ice cream truck stationed in the parking lot. I would always get a vanilla cone with rainbow sprinkles as a kid before walking along the bay with my sisters.

Vegas Diner is another gem of Bensonhurst – whether it’s a birthday, hangover, confirmation or lazy sunday, you’ll find yourself at Vegas Diner one way or another.

Honestly, I never thought much of my neighborhood. Born and raised there, I despised its dull residential character. Oddly enough, I’ve gained a newfound appreciation for its simplicity. It’s a quaint getaway from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan and other (gentrified) areas of Brooklyn. Believe me, the commute is long enough to feel like you’re in Bumfuck, Connecticut anyways.

Hunter College