Hunting for time: Tips on managing school, work and play

‘I think lectures are a waste of time for me. I just read the book and go in to take the exam’

It’s 6pm. You reluctantly sit down to do your homework and study.  But first, you innocently Google something only to end up hours later with 7 tabs open, a Netflix binge in full swing, an album on Spotify you swear you don’t even recognize and an assignment you haven’t even begun.  Don’t you even dare lie to me. I’ll check your browser history.  

Let’s be honest, a lot of us are fond of wasting and mismanaging our time.  I’m totally guilty of this myself. Perhaps you’re even procrastinating right now by reading this article (but you clearly have good taste if you’re already here, so keep reading!)  

Most students at Hunter take a minimum of 4-5 classes per semester, which is at least 16 hours of class time per week.  Add to that the amount of time needed to complete assignments and to study, and you’ll see yourself wrapped up in academia. On top of that, many college students are busy scraping together a buck or resume building through jobs or internships.

Finally, let’s not forget that we have social lives that need to be lived and hobbies to be enjoyed.

It’s easy to fall behind on assignments and studying when so much is going on at once.  Not only is there a lot on our plate, but time management isn’t exactly our strong suite yet.

Many students such as sophomore and Psychology major Magdalena Dominik praised the organization of calendars and planners on reminding them of assignments:  “One thing I find helpful is setting calendar alerts for really important dates like exams or papers, and checking them at least once in the morning to plan my day ahead.”

Magdalena Dominik

Volodymyr Gagilchyn, senior Psychology major, stressed the importance of prioritizing your time based on the week’s academic needs: “If I know that my Psychology class does not have any immediate work due, I spend most of my time on Organic Chemistry and Physics.  I use my schedule to know what I’m going to do in the future.”

Volodymyr Gagilchyn

Other students like Sardar Singh, a triple-major in Philosophy, Math and Economics who is currently in his junior year, had more unorthodox tactics to save time: “I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I think lectures are a waste of time for me.  I just read the book and go in to take the exam.”

Sardar Singh ft. one of The Tab’s charming editors

Some students found that having a job or internship kept them more focused on school when they weren’t on their shift.  Rhina Nunez, senior, agreed with this idea: “I manage my time better when I have a job.  That way, I plan out specifically when I will study.”   

Rhina Nunez

I can attest to this idea myself, as holding a job while going to school definitely kept me in line and encouraged me to get my studying done on schedule.  If you’re feeling super-productive/morbid, you can even sacrifice your lunch break to catch up on re-reading your notes or getting a head start on an assignment.

And now for the biggest black hole that eats your free time: the Internet.  Try to approach specific sites that you find yourself getting caught up on by establishing a daily limit.  For example, set a limit to only check your Facebook once and only in the evening.  That way, you’re keeping yourself away from it during for the majority of your day.  Presumably, most of your work will be finished by the time you glance at it and you will probably be tired enough to only briefly check it before defying your caffeinated existence by getting yourself some well deserved sleep. Approaching your day with certain predetermined limits will allow you to better mentally resist wasting your time.  

Also, use moments of idleness as tools to further your studies.  That long, boring train ride that has your staring out the window or listening to music?  Turn it into a time to study your notes or books.  How about that annoying two hour gap between classes?  You probably want to spend it with friends, but try to dedicate a portion of it to catching up on your work.

Hopefully you find what works best for you, and leave behind the days of stressfully typing away as you witness the menacing approach of the college deadline.  

Hunter College CUNY CUNY Hunter NYC The Tab