Hunter graffiti: Blight or blessing?

Let’s talk about art, baby

Whether it’s during a walk up the stairs in Thomas Hunter or a session in one of the many not-so-well maintained toilets, you’ve probably seen some sort of political, crude or just straight-up hilarious graffiti.

Covering topics like the crisis in the Middle East, political correctness and the preference for slightly crooked penises, there’s no stopping the people of Hunter from transcribing their opinions on our hallowed walls.

It’s ubiquitous and ever-present — something so closely associated with Hunter that anyone who’s spent any amount of time as a member of our community can distinguish regular graffiti from our far more idiosyncratic school-street art.

Asking, and answering, the important questions

That we still spend our toilet-time reading bathroom graffiti, a standard activity for all bored students before the advent of smart phones and smarter social networks, is a testament to how omnipresent it is.

But does everyone appreciate it? Or should we do something to change it?”

Junior Tiffany Berruti said: “I think it’s a perfectly valid form of expression.

“A lot of is pretty funny and I do think it’s sort of part of Hunter.”

Similarly named Tom Hutton, also a junior, echoed Tiffany’s thoughts. He said: “Who doesn’t want to read an in depth debate about the value of a psych major while dropping a deuce?”

How about a debate on Palestine and Israel?

A very profound debate on Palestine and Israel

And while some long-time Hunter attendees expressed warm affection for this weird stuff on the walls, others were far more frosty.

Steven Tarquinio, junior, said: “It’s funny for a second while going to the bathroom but in the end it’s stupid and ratchet.

“We should clean it up so Hunter isn’t as gross as it already is.”

A declaration?

It’s necessary to consider Steven’s opinion — it clearly reflects a position and an orientation that’s very much concerned with Hunter and how it’s perceived by the general public.

So do we reject our graffiti as pesky pestilence? Or do we own it as a Hunter hallmark?

Maybe Andy Bell-Baltaci’s opinion is most wise. The sensible senior said: “I think if it’s hateful it should be removed otherwise it’s whatever.”

says

Hunter College CUNY CUNY Hunter Graffiti NYC The Tab