American Apparel: Disappointing demise or well-deserved woes?

‘I think I’ve confused it with Urban Outfitters in the past’

This week, in a move that was not surprising given the company’s recent store closures and employee layoffs, American Apparel filed for bankruptcy.

In the past, the company has received praise for its Legalize Gay campaign and for manufacturing all of their products domestically.

But it has also been shamed for advertisements which some people call scandalous and hypersexualized as well as the scandal of CEO Dov Charney getting ousted amid allegations of sexually harassing employers.

Though several locations have closed, including the store near Hunter on 3rd Avenue, the company’s devoted customers can still shop at stores throughout the country that haven’t yet hit the chopping block.

Those customers include Hunter students, who shared a mixed range of emotions on American Apparel’s recent circumstances.

Victoria, Computer Science, Junior

“I saw the news on Reddit. It’s not surprising, it took them too long to switch management and they should have listened to their constituents and consumers. I don’t shop there, I don’t support their sexualized advertising: I also don’t think they’ve been very inclusive of minorities in their advertisements until recently.”

Thomas, Political Science, Junior

“I don’t think I’ve ever been to American Apparel. I think I’ve confused it with Urban Outfitters in the past.”

Hoseyin, Chemistry, Senior

“I rarely shop there, but I do like their clothes. They’re high-quality, and it’s nice to splurge there once in while. I didn’t really see bankruptcy coming and wasn’t aware of their circumstances.”

Shayne, Media Studies, Senior

“I used to work at American Apparel, and while I’ll still wear their clothes, I’m happy they’ve gone bankrupt. The store is run by good-looking models who will get promoted to executive positions.

Grace, Pre-health, Freshman

“My brothers are really into American Apparel. It’s very popular, and I didn’t realize they were having any financial issues. I’ve gotten a few V-Necks from there, but I mostly gift-shop there for others.”

Ameer, Geography, Freshman

“I’m wearing American Apparel right now. I shop there every other week. I don’t think their recent bankruptcy declaration is a big deal – once they restructure and bring back old designs, they’ll recover.”

Sarah, Political Science, Junior

“It’s kind of sad, since it shows that companies focused on American manufacturing aren’t doing well. I don’t really care, though, because their clothing is way too expensive, especially given how basic it is. I might own five, maybe five pieces from their store.”

Amanda, undeclared, Freshman

“I probably own three or four articles of clothing from there. I don’t care too much that they’ve gone bankrupt. I know they’ve had a few scandals with employees, so that might be why they’re going down.”

Lauren, Biology, Senior

“I have no opinion on their bankruptcy. In fact, I’ve never even shopped at American Apparel.”

Lena, Environmental Studies, Junior

“At first, I really liked how they were a United States manufacturer. But recently, I’ve learned that their CEO was also allegedly inappropriate with his employees. The clothing is overpriced, and basic for what it’s worth. I probably would have been more upset in high school.”

Hunter College AmericanApparel CUNY CUNY Hunter NYC The Tab