What we learned from the GOP debate

The clock struck 12, and one candidate turned back into a Trumpkin

Last night’s Republican debate was marked by the same bluster as previous ones, but there were a few developments you should know about.

Chris Christie doesn’t want to talk about Fantasy Football

When asked if daily fantasy sports should be regulated, Christie chided the moderators, pointing out (correctly) the nation has some slightly bigger problems to be worried about already.

“We’re talking about getting the government involved…in Fantasy Football? Wait a second…We have 19 trillion dollars in debt, we have people out of work, we have ISIS and Al Qaeda attacking us and we’re talking about Fantasy Football?”

Jeb Bush (Jeb!) then informed the crowd that his Fantasy team is 7-0.

Nice work, Jeb.

Super PACs are an enemy. So is the mainstream media. Who happens to be airing this debate.

Let’s keep in mind many, if not most, politicians are funded by super PACs. Donald Trump said: “Super PACs are a disaster, they’re a scam, they cause dishonesty, and you’d better get rid of them, because they are causing a lot of bad decisions to be made by some very good people.” Marco Rubio joined the super PAC love fest, stating that the Democrats have their own super PAC. “It’s called the mainstream media.”

The debate was aired by CNBC.

Trump claims he negotiated the length of this debate down from three-and-a-half hours to two.

He is shut down by the moderators immediately, and the other candidates try hard not to look amused.

Kasich couldn’t resist looking over

Jeb Bush continues to alienate people by trying to be funny

It hasn’t been a good week for Jeb Bush. First he inadvertently started a social media campaign by making a joke about psychology majors, and now he’s pissed off France. All of France.

But I guess that tends to happen when you imply that a country is lazy in a poor attempt to insult your rivals?

To recap, Jeb took a shot at the senators in the room, specifically Marco Rubio saying: “I mean, literally, the Senate — what is it, like, a French work week? You get, like, three days where you have to show up?”

Believe it or not, the French ambassador took issue with this characterization of his people and their work ethic.

Donald Trump makes you spit out your drink once again

In his post-debate interview, Trump first said that at the Democratic debate a few weeks ago, “The questions were much easier, much nicer, it was like a giant love fest. That did not take place over here.”

I feel obligated to point out the Republican candidates were asked about Fantasy Football, whereas Lincoln Chafee was asked about why he voted to repeal the Glass-Steagall Act and essentially deregulate banks.

Trump went on to say, “My relationship with Hispanics is fantastic.”

…You couldn’t make this up.

Cornell