Veteran, socialite, scholar and homie: Meet Gardo, Columbia’s top man

‘Life is too short to waste a bunch of time and energy being a dick’

As is typically the case with college, the first few weeks back at school are an opportunity to make memories we can barely remember.

One of my favorite new friends this semester, and undoubtedly one of my favorite people to see around campus every day, is Edgardo Martinez, a GS senior and Navy veteran who is more affectionately known to his peers and classmates as Gardo.

We chatted with Gardo, 30, about his career in the military, his studies at Columbia and being a member of Sigma Nu’s Delta Gamma Chapter.

Tell us about your early life.
I was born in Newark, I lived in Elizabeth ’till I was five. When my dad retired, we moved to Miami. We’re Cuban, that’s just what you do.

A young Gardo with his dad

Why did you decide to go to the Navy? 
I think a lot of people have a bro-y and silly version of saying “I love America,” but I legit love this country. I’m the son of two Cuban refugees, and I’ve actually seen my parents live the American dream. The summer before my senior year, I told myself “we’re a country at war, I’m young, I’m in shape, and I can do something about this.” I enlisted in the Navy, and joined a month after graduating high school.

Gardo with his dad and cousin, Joe, who joined the Navy along with Gardo in 2003 as a combat medic.

What was your time in the Navy like?
I was on a submarine out of Pearl Harbor, The U.S.S. Olympia, for about four years. I also deployed on the U.S.S Houston, and then I became an instructor in upstate New York.

How did your service in the Navy lead you to Columbia?
While I was an instructor, I knew I didn’t want to be in the Navy any longer, and I had the GI bill at my disposal so I was looking to go to school. I applied to a bunch of places, and Columbia was sort of my shot in the dark.

Gardo, left, and some of the friends who served with him on the submarine

What has your experience been like here at school, especially after being in the service? 
I love it here. I really do. I came to Columbia with the mindset that since I waited so long to do college I was going to do it right. My first year at school, I immediately joined student council – I served as the vice president my first year, and was the VP of policy as a sophomore.

Most people in GS come to Columbia with a good amount of transfer credits, but since I joined the Navy right after high school I didn’t transfer anything.

At home with the boys

Because I’m on the four year plan, I’ve been able to have more of a traditional college experience than the typical GS student. My junior year, I wanted to branch out beyond GS, so I checked out the fraternity that my roommate and some of my best friends were in, and it’s home now. I love it.

What’s it like being an older person in a fraternity? 
There’s this meme on the internet which says using the GI Bill feels like this:

But I haven’t felt like that at all.

Do you have any advice for the boys and girls out there?
Life is too short to waste a bunch of time and energy being a dick. Don’t be a dick.

Columbia University Columbia Family Frat Friends The Tab