Professor Nicholas Christie-Blick is still at it

There go the fucks he gives

Upperclassmen may remember Nicholas Christie-Blick, the eccentric and entertaining chair of the Frontiers of Science department.

He left his FoS post last summer and no more can the groans of freshmen weighed down by English enthusiasm and McGurk effects be heard.

Now they’ve got some new guy, a chemist or something. I hear he’s all right.

Professor Christie-Blick had one of the most difficult jobs on campus: to present science an interesting and an accessible way. The course fell short sometimes, but Professor Christie-Blick’s joy for science was always understood, even if relativistic physics was somewhat harder to understand.

Made by Columbia students

He doggedly attempted to make science accessible to the average Creative Writing major, and his passion even convinced some students to drop the humanities and attempt a degree in science (yours truly included).

But his passion was not contained to Frontiers. After becoming his Facebook friend, I discovered a man who was faithfully pro-science, liberal in leaning, and as atheist as they come.

It was a fantastic counterpart from all the conservative dribble I’d picked up growing up in the South. Spending his time between Facebook and Twitter, Nick Blick does not shy away from sensitive topics.

He’s an outspoken prof and uses his skills to devastating effect – whether it’s to rail against religion, Republicans or climate change.

We picked Blick’s best by subject matter, just for you.

On religion…

On Republican politicians…

On climate science…

Keep on doing what you’re doing, Professor Christie-Blick.

The rest of us are enjoying the show.

Columbia University Atheist Columbia Professor Science The Tab