All the things you didn’t know about moving off-campus

Live off campus they said, it’ll be fun they said

I thought I was done with my “off-campus” experience after living on Newton.

Although the majority of BC students reflect fondly on their time spent on Newton Campus, it felt to me like an off-campus experience without any of the actual perks off-campus has to offer.

Now as a Junior, I see that although it is closer than Newton, there are a lot of things I was not necessarily prepared for.

There are the things everyone knows about not living in a dorm – like you have to cook for yourself and (hopefully) have a single. Some things I didn’t expect were house maintenance, being liable for bills, dealing with crazy neighbors (pour some out for 44 Greycliff) and lastly, just how far the library is.

Not pictured: two more signs and neighbor sitting in his window, counting the number of people coming in and out of the house.

Maintaining a house isn’t that hard because the landlord takes care of most of your problems, but winter is coming… and this snow may be the death of the class of 2017.

One roommate has already slipped on ice in the driveway, many houses have lovely notes reminding you to PLS TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES because not tryna clean eight times a day.

Adulting isn’t all its made out to be.

It takes serious motivation to get up in time to cook yourself breakfast and then clean it before you leave for class. I thought the kitchenettes in Walsh were a tight squeeze and that dishes piled up quick – but when seven people are trying to cook in the same kitchen and people (usually me) are hangry, things can get tense.

The sink fills with pots and pants so high that you can’t even begin to wash them, but when they’re all clean where do you even put them? LMK.

I guarantee no one ever told you that sharing a fridge with so many people would be like playing Jenga.

Coming home and realizing your roommates went grocery shopping is honestly more stressful than Tresch’s econ exams, because the entire fridge is rearranged and who knows where your veggies went.

With the libraries so far away and home being so cozy, honestly I’m impressed I passed last semester. The Brighton library does exist, but also looks (and feels) more like a prison than O’Neil.

Brighton lib, looking desolate as ever.

Ultimately, I do love my house off campus and some days I don’t want to move back on. Although its a lot of work, I feel a lot more accomplished than a lot of students at other schools who’ve never had to be self-sufficient.

Plus, no RA’s so you can pop champagne all day long. 

Game day? Check.

NYE? Check.

Wednesday? Check.

Thanks BC housing for making me learn with all my friends by my side, I still love you, and want a Mod.

Mostly just want a Mod though.

Boston College