In defense of Natty Lite and Rubinoff

We hate that we love them

Ah, Ruby and Natty – the staples of Boston College social life that have probably, unfortunately infiltrated all of our livers. Don’t be ashamed as they are a vital part of our experience. Let’s face it: even the fact that we have given them nicknames is proof that we love them.

Drinking paraphernalia!!

Rubinoff is by far one of the worst kinds of vodka ever manufactured.

Admittedly, it tastes more like rubbing alcohol than vodka and taking shots of it burns even when you’re drunk.

We try to avoid the shittiness of it. We mix it with various kinds of soda and juice. We convince ourselves that the ruby “doesn’t taste that bad” when mixed with obscene amounts of seltzer water and cranberry juice, as well as Odwalla from the dining hall.

But secretly Rubinoff is awesome.

You can pretty much get a whole roomful of freshman girls drunk for a mere $11.99. That’s less than you spent on your dinner last night. And $10 cheaper than buying a bottle of Smirnoff. It’s also significantly cheaper than paying the cover and buying a drink at Baseball Tavern.

Let that soak in. And then suck it up and take a shot.

After the first few sips, Natty Lite ends up tasting like water – it helps wash away the rubbing alcohol that is Ruby. You can safely shot gun one (well I can’t), but I’m sure that most boys can.

If you plan on playing 10 rounds of beer pong on a Thursday, Natty. If you’re trying to save money but get a bunch of boys drunk, Natty. Natty is for the chill in all of us and never ceases to exist at a party.

The best part about both of these party staples is the fact that they are always there for us. The one bottle of Ciroc the high roller brought to the party is gone? You bet Ruby will be there waiting to be drank as your second choice.

Someone drank the twelve IPAs someone brought? Natty is just waiting in the cold fridge for you.

No matter what, you can count on these two when all else goes wrong.

Boston College