Running for a reason: Eagles run for Welles Crowther

One of the best days of the year to be an Eagle

Yesterday, the BC community came together for the annual Welles Remy Crowther Red Bandanna 5k.

This is one of the best examples of our community truly supporting and honoring its members. Last week, hundreds of students wore red in anticipation and support of the run.

The Tab asked runners (and walkers) about the day and what it means.

The Crowthers thank the community before the race

Pre-race gathering in the sub 40 degree temps

All smiles as the sea of red bandannas flooded Linden Lane

Isabella Rodriguez, Sophomore, Nursing

“This race is all about sticking together and coming together for a great cause. It exemplifies putting others before ourselves.”

Juniors Mikey Mikkelson and Teddy Chapman of Men’s Club Lax

“The Men’s lacrosse team takes the run extremely seriously. We aim to represent Welles and honor the ultimate sacrifice that he made. Bringing energy and enthusiasm to the race is the least we can do, but nonetheless it is an event we take great pride in.”

Jenny Phan, Boston College Alum 2014

“This is actually my first run. I always remembered hearing about how great the community was for the race to honor Welles Crowther. I had to come back for it.”

Sophomores Hannah McLaughlin, Dan Miller, Mark Chanatry, and Jessica Osburn

Mark said: “On a good day I can get up to a mile, but today I know I have to push through to honor Welles.”

Sophomore Ethan Johnson

“If Welles can go back to the floor that was on fire multiple times to save lives, I think I can get up on a Saturday to run a 5K in his honor.”

Sophomores Griffin Keegan and Andrew Hannon

Griffin is a member of Navy ROTC on campus. He said: “I am here to honor an American hero and I feel like it’s our duty to do so.”

The Run

BC club lax members wore American-themed Welles Crowther shirts

Police block off the streets as the red sea storms Cleveland Circle

3.1

Runners traveled from all over Massachusetts and even out of state to race. A family from Madison, WI said they were in Boston last year and saw the sea of red bandannas. Interested in what it was for, they found the Man in the Red Bandanna video online and were inspired to fly in this year to run for Welles, his family, and his community at BC.

3.1 miles of red bandannas sent a powerful message of community, support, and honor for the service and heart of Welles Crowther. However, the most empowering action of the day was shown in Mr. and Mrs. Crowther’s gratitude.

Speaking in the opening remarks, Mr. Crowther was brought to tears saying that he could see Welles in every one of the participants. He felt the love of the BC community.

Mrs. Crowther stood at the finish line and personally thanked each and every runner as they went by. From the first finisher, Manuel Gonzalez, at 15:45, to the last finisher, who crossed the line in just under an hour, she was there showing her appreciation and reminding all runners what and who they ran for.

You can find the full race results and event photos here.

The Red Bandanna Run is truly one of the best days to be an Eagle, and we’ll be back again next year, the year after that, and every year going forward, to run in Welles’ honor.

Boston College