BC wears red for Welles Crowther

‘Even though most of us were too young to remember 9/11, we as a BC community need to keep the memory alive through this tradition’

As most of you are aware, the Welles Remy Crowther Red Bandanna 5k is rapidly approaching – this Saturday, October 24th.

Welles Crowther was a ’99 BC grad who always carried a red bandanna. He went on to work with Sandler O’Neill & Partners at 2 World Trade Center, and was in the buildings when the planes hit on September 11, 2001.

Accounts from that day remember a man with a red bandanna organizing rescue efforts and guiding victims down the stairs. Survivors recall him saying, “Everyone who can stand, stand now. If you can help others, do so.”

Today, Welles is remembered as a hero. In honor of his life and to raise awareness for the run, Wednesday, October 21 was Red/Red Bandanna Day for the BC community.

Let’s see what BC students and faculty were wearing to support the cause.

Nicole Diaz, Freshman, Political Science major

“I wore red and the bandanna today because I feel really strongly about it. Even though most of us were too young to remember 9/11, we as a BC community need to keep the memory alive through this tradition”

Connor McKnight, Junior, Biology major

Connor has run this 5k a few times now.

Genevieve McCann, Freshman, Economics major

“It’s a bow from cheerleading that we always keep on our bags. I really love the message behind it.”

Matthew Brennan, Sophomore, Finance and Accounting double-major

Aashna Topandasani, Senior, Psychology major

She has run the race every year she’s been at BC.

Luis Cruz, Freshman, Economics major

“I’m doing the 5k because I love running and feel passionate about the tradition.”

Libbie Steiner, Junior, Theology major

“My birthday is on 9/11 and the game and 5k are very meaningful to me because it was definitely a weird and sad day for me as a kid.”

Cam Cronin ’12, Staff Assistant for the Academic Advising Center and Ryan Mulderrig ’02, Assistant Director of First Year Experience

Cam Cronin (left) and Ryan Mulderrig (right)

Cam: “I came here on a scholarship from St. John’s Prep in the name of Sean Lynch, another BC student who died on 9/11.”

Ryan: “I was a student here during 9/11 and had heard about Welles.”

For more information about Welles Crowther, visit http://www.crowthertrust.org.

For more information about the 5k run, visit http://www.bc.edu/offices/service/welles5k.html.

Boston College