Newton Bus: Morning awkwardness to karaoke nightclub

‘I’m usually assaulted by upwards of 5 backpacks, which I wish would just ask me to dinner already’

A BC freshman who tells an upperclassmen they live on Newton usually elicits one of two reassuring responses: “It’s not as bad as people say, I actually kinda liked it” or “Yikes, that sucks.”

In regards to the bus, both of these responses are not unwarranted.

When I walk onto the bus on Monday morning at the ripe hour of eight-something, I’m usually assaulted by upwards of 5 backpacks, which I wish would just ask me to dinner already.

There are usually double the amount of students on the bus than what is healthy, and I can almost always hear my personal space bubble popping. Some people just give up on the concept of socializing and close their eyes and listen to music, while others admirably still attempt the “where are you from?” conversations.

Needless to say, it is uncomfortable.

On the weekend nights, I can feel my hair frizzing and my makeup sliding off as I step onto the bus, which typically hosts 50 amped up freshmen.

I have some stranger’s knee planted firmly in my back and if I breathe in too deeply, the smell of Rubinoff and Natty Light wafting through the air might actually get me drunk.

Someone (usually a guy donning a quarter zip and a backwards hat with an unassuming whale on it) will begin the sing-along.

Weekdays

The grind

Now, the weekend

Friday Night

Hot gossip

Probably texting the girls that will make their ratio better for mods

Kid so excited about trying to get into the mod he’s on the edge of his seat

Excuse me sir, is that a loincloth?

Or did you just have the worst costume at the toga party?

Song staples are “Sweet Caroline,” “Just a Friend,” “Don’t Stop Believing,” and usually the National Anthem (Rubinoff makes us patriotic).

The fight song is attempted, but we’re just young freshmen and don’t know all the words.

Someone generally tries to dance along on one of the poles.

On this weekend bus, I become a relationship therapist, a matchmaker, an R&B singer, an athlete (it’s hard to stay balanced), and all of the riders become best friends. The Upper vs. Newton kid rivalry dissolves.

There is a common bond of freshmen who have no idea where they are going to party while embracing the “work hard, play harder” mentality.

I have met some of my best friends on the Newton bus, but come Monday morning, we have forgotten each other’s names. #thanksRubinoff

Boston College