What it was like seeing Hillary speak at ASU days before the election

‘Even if you’re not for me, I will be for you as your President’

This Wednesday evening, just 6 days away from what is probably the most critical election of our time, Arizona State was graced by the Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton.

In a time of tight polls and the potential historical event of turning Arizona blue for the first time in decades hanging in the air, tension was high as the crowd awaited Hillary’s arrival.

But the hour delay was worth the wait.

She was inspirational, well prepared and defiant in front of a crowd of 20,000, many of whom had been waiting in line over 6 hours to hear her speak. She spoke of putting an end to police brutality, bringing free college to as many young people as possible and of pro-choice amid a cultural climate of men defunding Planned Parenthood.

It was truly an all encompassing experience to hear Hillary talk, knowing that the huge diversity in her audience was being embraced through not only her rhetoric, but her proposed policies. Her note of Arizona State’s spectrum of students was not missed, met by cheers of the millennials supporting her.

“ASU has a student body that reflects the diversity and talents of our communities. I’m told that the class of 2020 is ASU’s most diverse class ever. More than a third of the students here are the first in their family to go to college. You are proof that the American Dream is alive and big enough for everyone”.

Particularly in a state where the infamous Sheriff Joe Arpaio roams free, taking his “prisoners” to Tent City in the sweltering Arizona desert in exploitative pink outfits, Hillary really spoke to those experiencing hatred from fellow Americans in the wake of Trump’s campaign.

She referred to Trump asking Latinos to vote for him with the phrase “what do you have to lose?”, an obviously stupid question coming from someone who has spent the last year promoting the idea of a Deportation Squad.

“What do you have to lose? Everything. I want to ask you what you want to win, not lose.

“We don’t need to imagine what kind of President Trump will be. He has already shown us”.

Stronger TogetHER ❤

A photo posted by Elliot Smith (@elli_smith_20) on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:43pm PDT

To hear a woman talk with the power and dignity that she did, and continues to do so, is exhilarating for any young woman who believes in equality. For every girl that has been set back because of her gender or experiences even small instances of sexism on a daily basis, to see a proud (and nasty) woman standing in front of an adoring crowd of 20,000, about to become one of the most powerful people on the planet, was incredible.

It is almost a shame that talking of the sexist attitude of her opponent even has to tinge triumphant moments like these, that a woman cannot stand for President without continually having to challenge sexist rhetoric. But Hillary Clinton knows what Trump will do to future generations in attitudes towards gender equality and reminds her audience what is at stake.

Waiting 7 hours to get this close to the next President was priceless. I'm still in shock. #madampresident #imwithher #ASU

A photo posted by Elliot Smith (@elli_smith_20) on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:23pm PDT

“He proudly and loudly ranks women by their looks, including the only woman running in the Republican primary. Do you remember what he said about Carly Fiorina? A distinguished woman with a tremendous record of accomplishment, and basically, Trump said ‘nobody will vote for her, look at her face”.

“He brags about doing things to women without their consent. Just imagine what that would mean to girls and women, what it would mean to the sense of self-worth we want our young women to have. And imagine how it will affect our boys, to have a President who talks and behaves like that.”

I’m sure the rest of the crowd didn’t fail to think of the infamous University of Arizona protester that stood next to the line for the rally during the day, shouting insults at African Americans and women and provoking Latino students, whilst wearing shirts that said “women belong in the kitchen”. This is the kind of disgusting rhetoric that Trump is breeding and justifying all over the country.

She finished on a note of fairness and maturity that has clearly been missing from Trump’s side of the election.

“Contrary to Trump, I don’t think the vote is rigged. I think you’re making a choice. But even if you’re not for me, I will be for you as your President”.

Arizona State University