Vigil to be held in York for Orlando nightclub victims

49 people died in the attack early on Sunday morning

A vigil will be held this evening in York for the victims of the Orlando shootings at Pulse nightclub.

It will take place in St Helen’s Square, located near Betty’s Tea Rooms, at 7pm. YUSU’s BAME and LGBTQ networks will be hosting the event and have said: “Anyone who would like to is welcome to stand with us, pay their respects, and reflect.”

St. Helen’s Square, where the vigil will be held.

49 people were killed in the attack on the gay nightclub and 53 others were wounded. The attack is the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history and the deadliest terrorist attack in America since 9/11.

YUSU President Ben Leatham released a statement on Facebook stating:

“49 people lost their lives at a Latinx night at an LGBTQ club in Orlando. They were targeted because of their identities, because of who they were. If you are free come along to the vigil organised by your LGTBQ and BAME networks tomorrow to pay your respects. No one should have to live in fear.”

Details of the event can be found here.

YUSU’s BAME and LGBTQ networks have also said that if you would like to say a few words at the event, please feel free to get in touch at [email protected] or [email protected].