Potential Covid hotspots in Brighton and Hove identified in new map

Student areas have seen an increase in cases

A new interactive map has been released, using the most recent Public Health England data to show areas of Sussex with active Covid-19 cases.

The highest number of cases in the county within the timeframe of 24-30 September were in Coldean and Moulsecoomb North, with 12 positive tests- the only area of the county with more than ten in the week. This includes areas of Sussex’s Falmer campus; cases can be expected to rise, with current uni statistics showing 10 positive cases in campus residences alone.

Areas in and around Brighton, including Elm Grove, Bear Road and Hanover are shown in light blue (3-9 cases), whereas Falmer is shown in darker blue (10-19 cases)

The county was divided into areas with an average population of 7,200. Elm Grove and Bear Road were the fourth highest area in Brighton and Hove, with six cases, behind Fiveways with seven. Hanover (another popular student area) also had six cases in the week.

Old Hastings and Ore recorded slightly higher numbers, reporting eight and seven, respectively.

Other areas of Brighton and Hove, including Patcham West and Westdene, West Blachington, Withdean Woods, Round Hill, Hangleton South and Goldsmid West recorded cases between three and five in the time period.

Compared to other areas of the UK, figures in the Brighton and Hove area remain relatively low, with some regions recording up to 53 cases in the same period. However, recent data has suggested that Brighton and Hove may veer closer to local lockdowns, with cases increasing, especially in younger age groups.

More details can be found on The Argus here.