There’s a petition for Sussex students to get compensation for strikes

“It has also left us in a position where we are not receiving the services that we pay such a sizeable amount for”

Since the industrial action strikes and the arrival of COVID-19, many students have been left feeling displaced and disconnected with their learning this term. The University of Sussex recently announced that they would not be refunding tuition fees for this term as all teaching will be moved online and will remain to the same standard as before.

As a result, students have been left angered and are demanding some form of compensation for the weeks of university teaching that have now been missed. Consequently, a petition has been started calling for change and it has already gained more than 700 signatures.

The creator of the petition has described his anger, saying “not only has it impacted our learning, which is invaluable, but it has also left us in a position where we are not receiving the services that we pay such a sizeable amount for.”

“We know that even £500 does not fully cover what some of us are missing out on but this should be the least this institution should offer”

Many supporters have rallied in the comments, expressing their anger at how the situation has been handled: “We deserve fair and adequate compensation for the extreme level of disruption we’ve faced to teaching.”

You can sign the petition here.