What not to bring to University as a Fresher

An anti-checklist of the items you definitely will not need to bring to your first year at university.

Every single item in your wardrobe

You will not need nor have enough storage space to bring every single item of clothing you own. Even if you think you might wear that top you haven't worn in over a year, you probably never will.

Too many clothes, not enough space

Too many clothes, not enough space

Loads of pens

Despite being an essential stationary item for your studies, you'll find that after Freshers' week, by visiting the stalls and signing up to societies, you will have been given enough free pens to last your entire degree.

In fact, the majority of people bring their laptops to lectures meaning that your notes will probably be typed up on Word.

If life gives you pens, just take them all.

Rucksacks / drawstring bags

Again, a lot of freshers' stalls will hand out free drawstring bags to entice you to sign up to their societies. These are handy as gym or swimming bags, so you won't need to use up space bringing any bags from home.

Bin

Rubbish bins will usually be provided in your student accommodation, but it's always worth checking.

Lamp

Again, this should be provided in your student accommodation, so don't bother buying one when there is a good enough one available for free.

Your university has already thought everything through, so make the most of what's free.

High heels and dresses

You might think you need these for clubs and bars, but I can assure you, 90% of students on a night out will be wearing "jeans and a nice top" and some trainers they don't mind getting a bit grubby. The effort into looking nice becomes boring when you're out most nights of the week. It's all about comfort after a week or so.

Clubbing has never been more casual

Clubbing has never been more casual

Stuff to make cakes – whisk, mixing bowl, cupcake cases.

As nice as the idea is, you probably will never find the time to make those cupcakes or brownies recipes you saw on Facebook. You may have thought that you could have a bonding session with your flatmates by making some cakes, but no one will have the time to do this when you can just get pre-made ones from the shops.

You'll definitely miss the smell of the good ol' homemade cupcakes

Printer

Firstly, they can take up too much of your desk space, and secondly, unless your course requires you to print out a lot of documents, you can just use the printers in the university library for a few pennies per sheet printed. Most documents can just be viewed online, so you may not even need to print out anything for the entire year.

The library has tons of printers to use for a few pennies

Iron

Usually there will be one available in your student accommodation, but do you think you're ever going to have the time, effort, and patience to wash, dry, AND iron all of your clothes? No, you won't.

A steamer and a slow cooker

Thinking of steaming your vegetables? Slow cooking some pork? Unless you're a keen cook with a lot of spare time, it's unlikely this will happen. Don't get me wrong, you can bring one if you use one regularly, but if you haven't already started, you won't ever start.

Do you really think you'll have time to prepare your dinner in the morning?

TV

When Netflix, NOWTV, and catch up TV is easily available, is it really necessary to buy a TV? Plus, with your busy schedule of freshers and course assignments, you probably won't even have time to watch real time TV.

Candles/incense

Candles, incense, and anything that can set fire is forbidden in student accommodation due to the fire risk, and could lead to a hefty fine. If you want your room smelling nice, buy a diffuser, air freshener, or anything that will help to mask any odours you wouldn't want others to sniff out. You get my drift.

No Yankee Candles available here

No Yankee Candles available here