Joanna Bowman: the lack of joy in giving

Joanna wants to write you a Christmas card

It’s the 25th November, and we all know what that means. The day itself is here. The one day that is legitimately allowed to be all about me: my birthday. On that note if you could send any/all presents care of University Hall, I’m sure they will get to me. Of course, as everyone reading will have had etched on their minds for months, today marks an occasion nearly as important. Lest it has escaped your attention, it is just one month – thirty days – until Christmas. Stock up on Advent calendars (multiple, yes); whip out your tinsel (not a euphemism). Humming Last Christmas is not only allowed now, but expected. I don’t want a day from this point thus to go by where I don’t hear ‘Wham!’.

Being the selfless, giving person I am, my thoughts are turning to what I can give my friends. There is nothing like trying to find presents to make you realise that ten weeks – for as a lowly Fresher that is how long I have been living alongside the people I am now close enough with to be spending my hard earned (thank you Student Loans Company) money on – is not nearly long enough to work out what exactly is the present for them.

Where a ‘joke’ token present works brilliantly with friends of several years, I fear the friends of my corridor might be less than impressed with what is perfect for friends back at home: a back scratching twig, a set of free Green Day stickers, or, given at the height of a relationship, the romantic combination of a Mars Bar and a daisy.

The questions about what to do are mounting in my mind. Do people write Christmas cards at university? Back in the days of school, it was easy: write everyone you know a card, and give your closest friends a chocolate-based present. Simple. Sorted. What’s the deal with Secret Santa? Do you give them their Secret Santa present, and then another one so they don’t miss out on a standard present? Should presents be edible, or is that a cop-out? Am I allowed to use the same present idea for more than one person? Is my present allowed to be from St Andrews, or do I need to look further afield so more effort can be seen?

The pressure is mounting. I have lists of people and possible presents across my room. Essays have taken a backseat whilst I scroll through websites with names like ‘gift4u’ and ‘naffpresents’ but, unless everyone wants an inflatable toupee or a baseball hat with hair (top gift ideas on ‘totally-funky’), I’m not having much luck. The panic is setting in, and I’m running out of time so I can still secure free shipping.

Maybe I’m overthinking it. I’m sure Tesco will do something suitable.

Image courtesy of theo-blast.org