5 things you must do this week…

The hunt for the perfect Halloween costume begins!

Just So & Mermaids Cabaret Night:  Go along if you want to mingle with the Mermaids and Just So crew and get some free wine. They’re having a little open mic night with pianists provided, so bring your sheet music and whatever talent you have (some talent recommended). President David Patterson is rumoured to be attending in a Willy Wonka costume – Gene Wilder edition – to promote the upcoming Mermaids Ball theme, so come to have a laugh at him if anything.

Rafiki Fabrix Sale: The Bongo Ball crew are to be found outside the Mansfield building this Wednesday for the last day of their awesome fabric sale, all pieces hand-printed by Congolese refugees with proceeds feeding back into the Xavier education project (the beneficiaries of Friday’s Ball). They’ve got shirts, trousers, shorts, bags and all sorts, in a rainbow of colours and awesome prints, so even you’ve got a Bongo outfit down, you are guaranteed to find an outlandish library fash piece to get yourself papped by the Standtorialist.

Boob Week: A few Top Fives ago, I implored you all to give the twins a once-over – this week, the charity behind those reminders are holding some fun boob-related fundraisers to support the ongoing efforts of CoppaFeel! They’ve got a pub quiz with prizes, a 5K sponsored run and a bake sale on Friday with breast themed baked goods (the best kind of baked goods). Look out for the ladies around town!

Hunt for a Halloween costume: Yep, it’s come around again. The biggest Bop of the year and several Halloween events are on the near horizon, so you need to get scavenging for a costume or two, or three. How about a spooky ghost, easily  achieved with a sheet, towel or white shirt if you’re feeling lazy? Or maybe put in more effort for something thoroughly tasteless, like this monstrosity? Whatever you chose, I will warn you that Pikachu-before-he-lost-all-that-weight has been taken, and my set up is pretty great. If you’re stuck, why not try the…

…Jumble Sale: Run by the Charities Campaign, come along to grab yourself some Raisin foam, crazy costumes, books, posters or other general tat for as little as £1! Friday, 11 – 4 in the Union main bar.