The best Halloween cocktails for students

Cheaper than vodka coke.

Halloween is here. The crazy themed drinks, the decorations and of course the costumes. Who doesn’t want to dress up as scantily clad princess in hopes of finding a handsome prince to sweep her off her feet? Granted the next morning after a few jesticles or quad-vods, what you once thought was your prince charming may turn out to be actually an ogre… but you live and learn.

To set your Halloween party apart from the endless stream of bog-standard ‘pres then Jesters’, we found, and obviously tested, some of the easiest recipes out there.

Witches Brew

Now who wouldn’t want a sip of this creepy looking drink? Anyone? I must admit it does remind me of a mango jesticle, so those who were brave enough to drink the tropical cousin of the jesticle on a night out at Jesters will definitely enjoy this glowing, libation, you will soon be flying off on your broomsticks after a sip of this.

Ingredients:

• 1  packet of lime jelly
  • 2  cups boiling water
  • 3  cups chilled pineapple juice
  • 1 (2 litre) bottle chilled lemon-lime flavoured soda
  • 2  cups chilled vodka

Directions:

• Pour the jelly into a large bowl. Slowly stir in the boiling water. Stir at least 2 minutes, until the jelly is completely dissolved.
  • Stir in the pineapple juice, pour the entire 2 litre of soda and the vodka in. Let cool to room temperature.

The Walking Dead

Like zombies this drink kicks a punch with 3 types of rum, so all of you hard drinkers out there tickle your taste buds with this ghoulish beverage. And for the lightweights in Southampton, you may want to avoid this drink because after a few of these and you may indeed feel like the walking dead the next day!

Ingredients:

• 1 oz. apricot brandy
  • 1 oz. light rum
  • 1 oz. dark or Jamaican rum
  • 1 oz. lime juice
  • 2 dashes grenadine
  • orange juice
  • 1 oz. Bacardi 151 rum

Directions:

• Mix light and dark rum and brandy in a cocktail shaker, add lime juice and grenadine. Shake well and strain into a highball glass filled with cracked ice.
  • Fill glass with orange juice, but leave enough room to float the Bacardi 151 rum on top. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.

Liquefied Ghost Cocktail

For those out there who are kids at heart you will love this adult version of a milkshake, careful though it isn’t just a blast from the past for those mature-students out there, it does carry a kick. BEWARE!

Ingredients:

• 2 oz. vodka
  • 1 oz. vanilla simple syrup
  • 1 oz. cream
  • 2 oz. soda

Directions:

• Mix vanilla simple syrup, cream, vodka and soda together in a cocktail shaker, then serve in a chilled martini glass.

Vampire’s Kiss

Well bring on the bloodsuckers and let’s get smooching…this drink is simply to die for!! This bloody drink will truly inspire your inner vampire fan-girl, if you are team Edward or team Dracula, it doesn’t matter because after a sip of this demonic creation you will forever be bound to a vampire’s kiss.

Ingredients:

• 2  ounces raspberry vodka
  • 2  ounces Chambord raspberry liquor (black raspberry liqueur)
  • 3  ounces cranberry juice

Directions:

• Put ice and water in martini glass, to chill.
  • Put all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice and shake the heck out of it!
  • Dump ice/water from glass.
  • Strain into martini glass and ENJOY!

Black Widow Shot

Although this shares the same name as Scarlett Johansson’s leather-clad character in the Avengers film, it nearly isn’t as sweet, but rather like the black Widow spider, after a few of these venomous shots you will be waking up with a killer headache.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 ounces black vodka, chilled
  • 1/2 ounces cranberry juice, chilled
  • 1 cherry, for garnish
  • red sugar crystals, for rim

Directions:

• Fill a small cocktail glass with ice.
  • Rim glass with red sugar crystals.
  • Pour cranberry juice over ice, and gently layer black vodka over juice.
  • Garnish with a cherry.

A nice simple recipe to finish off my top 5 Halloween Beverages from shots to brews. In the meantime I hope you have a fantastic Halloween filled with ghostly mischief and fun! And remember these are the measurements for only one drink!