Preview: Renegade Launch Party at Carbon

Didn’t get a ticket to No Scrubs? Don’t fear, your night won’t be shit after all!

This Friday (31st January) there’s the Renegade Launch Party at Carbon. A brand new House and Techno night, taking “influence” from Amsterdam, Berlin, London, Leeds & Manchester. I think that means there will be people who like music from these places, or maybe that those playing will have visited them, but either way it sounds quite cool and way more edgy than your usual 1D-fest at Camera.

Carbon, the place to be for chemistry related mayhem

One of the organisers promised me that this event will definitely be fun, and people will 100% enjoy themselves, but regardless of her opinion all the proceeds from the night are going to the four charities that Oxford RAG supports (Giving What We Can, Oxford Food Bank, Education Partnerships Africa and Students Supporting Street Kids) so you can feel good about pouring jägerbombs down your gullet and puking on the dance floor for once.

DJs AND charity, what more could you want?! Click for event page.

Moreover, unless you’re totally pop obsessed, like some music anti-snob, or you’re deaf, odds are you’ll like the music. The DJs playing all have more than 5 followers on their respective pages, so definitely know what they’re doing.

The night features DJ Kafka, because techno and existentialism go hand in hand in Germany.

Existentialist, Dj extraordinaire

Its from 10-3 on Friday night, so if you aren’t kitted out in 90s gear and heading to Cowley, or doing something else (there is literally nothing else to do, so you really have no excuse), buy a ticket and hit up Carbon for some beat heavy mayhem.

Eleanor Shaw interviews the brains behind Renegade about how clubbing for charity is the new Kony 2012

Why “Renegade?”

Oxford Dictionary definition: noun; a person who behaves in a rebelliously unconventional manner: he was a renegade and social malcontent. Need there be more incentive for a guaranteed great night? Also it has been known to a select few, including Fatboy Slim, that I am back once again as the renegade master…

How will the featured DJs optimize the surprisingly good sound system of Carbon?

All jokes aside, these DJs know their shit. Amsterdam, London, Leeds, Manchester, Berlin; they’ve done it all. If they know how to get the crazy Eastern Europeans and hard-as-nails northerners up on their feet, imagine the things they could do to countryside academics who think the cheese floor at Park End is ‘fucking nuts night out maaaate’. It might finally be time for all those Friday night Scouts sessions to come in handy: be prepared.

The new Camera?

Are you climbing Mount Kilimanjaro yourself? If so, are you looking forward to it?

I will indeed be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, starting on the 8th July. I am not too sure about looking forward to it as I get dizzy just from standing up after I have been sitting down for a few minutes…but I am sure it will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience and it’s all for a good cause.

Will there be a Renegade party at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro?

Seeing as I’m back once again as the renegade master, I take the party with me wherever I go. As I walk down the street people randomly fall to the floor because they can feel the drop that I just mentally threw at them. I can only hope the other people I am climbing with will be able to walk for a long enough period of time to join me in the Renegade party at the highest point in Africa, which when joined with a very light head from all the altitude will be guaranteed fun.

Should everyone feel really guilty for not going because it’s for charity?

Yes.