UEA FOOTBALL MARCH ON

UEA swept aside Caister Reserves to advance through to the 3rd Round of the Norfolk Junior Cup with a 5-1 win.

Heading into the game UEA were wary of Caister who have had a strong start of their own.

UEA went close two minutes in, Richards was set free but saw his shot on the bounce fly wide.

Richards however atoned for that miss shortly after showing a turn of pace a slotting through the keeper’s legs to give UEA the advantage.

UEA were delivered a warning by Caister shortly after, failing to deal with the danger the ball fell to a Caister shirt, fortunately for UEA he screwed his volley wide.

UEA began to assert themselves in the game and some neat football found Skidmore in space whose drilled shot forced a fine save down to the keepers left.

That dominance soon paid off as Richards struck again doubling UEA’s and his own tally.

Caister were feisty in the tackle looking to put UEA off their game, Jon Bacon in particular took a nasty looking knock to the head in fully committed challenge.

UEA came close again as Rerizani raced into the box and drilled a ball across the face of goal taking a big deflection off a Caister man who gratefully saw the ball spoon over the bar.

UEA grabbed a third on the half hour mark as Seymour up from the back for the corner sent a towering header into the back of the net.

Caister looked to hit back instantly, a decent ball into the box found its target but a weak header was easily held by the keeper. It was the first of several half chances for the away side as UEA had a ten minute spell showing uncharacteristic lack of composure.

Caister failed to turn chances into goals however and were made to pay as UEA put themselves four to the good on the stroke of half time. Dingli fresh on as a sub latched onto an excellent through ball rounding the keeper to poke home for 4-0.

Without being entirely in the ascendancy UEA had made their chances count giving them a commanding lead at the half way point.

The second half was much more competitive in nature with Caister looking a more threatening outfit. Twenty minutes into the half they found a glimmer of hope as a ball over the top was brought down with aplomb and drilled into the far corner.

Caister continued to get forward well but failed to create anymore real clear cut chances and UEA put the game to bed with ten minutes to go.

Ryan Chapman picked up the ball and unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner from the edge of the box to make it five.

The second half certainly had fewer incidents largely due to a more solid showing from the opposition. In truth the game was over by half time and UEA saw out the second half without ever really looking like letting the half time advantage slip. Next up for UEA, a Cyrill Ballyn Ball cup tie against Thorpe Village.