UCL is the fourth best university in the world to study arts and humanities

We’ve moved ten places since last year

UCL has been ranked as the 4th best university in the world for studying arts and humanities by Times Higher Education and fifteenth best over all. This means that UCL has risen ten places, coming in at fourteenth last year.

The rankings put UCL down as the 4th best university in the UK, after Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College London.

UCL performed well across the board, coming 6th for clinical and pre-clinical medicine, and 14th for the social sciences.

It was ranked as 2nd in the UK for Architecture and 3rd for Economics, Philosophy, History, Literature, Linguistics, and Languages.

UCL scored highly for their research (90.0) and citations (90.4) as well as their international outlook (94.3), but fell short with respect to teaching (77.4) and industry income (41.9).

The survey showed that UCL has an enormous international body, with over 12,000 international students, and 10.7 students for every one member of staff.

The Times Higher Education rankings come out annually and are heavily weighted upon reputational surveys of academics and the number of times academics from each institution have been cited, as well as research income and the proportion of staff to students.