Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Sphere, Ball, Person, People, Human

Exclusive: McCooley’s bouncer arrested last night after punching clubber

He allegedly knocked the clubber out

One of the bouncers at McCooley's in Concert Square was arrested last night after punching a clubber.

At around 1am this morning the bouncer allegedly punched a man, leaving him unconscious. The club-goer was supposedly out cold for around ten minutes whilst police and paramedics were called to the scene.

The victim, a man in his twenties, sustained a head injury and was taken to hospital, where his injuries were deemed to be non-life-threatening.

Police arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of assault. Officers remained in Concert Square following the incident, and cordoned off an area outside the bar.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Matt, a third year anatomy student who was at McCooley's last night, told us his eyewitness account:

"I heard the man get punched [by the bouncer], and the following commotion. The guy just lay stationary on the ground for ages. I think another bouncer must have then called the paramedics."

When The Liverpool Tab asked McCooley's what happened, they told us:

"The door company used by McCooley's is an external agency, and following the alleged incident last night, we are also conducting our own internal investigation."

Merseyside Police told The Liverpool Tab:

"We are appealing for information following an assault in the early hours of this morning, Friday, 5th October. Officers were called to Concert Square, Liverpool city centre at around 1am to reports a man had been assaulted by another man outside Mccooley's bar.

"The victim, a male in his twenties, sustained a head injury and was taken to hospital for treatment. His injuries were later assessed as being non-life threatening.

"A 27-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on suspicion of section 18 assault. He has been taken to a local police station for questioning. CCTV, forensic and witness enquiries are ongoing and detectives are urging anyone with information to come forward."

Detective Inspector Phil Mahon said: “We know there was a number of witnesses present in the Concert Square area and I would encourage anyone who may have witnessed the incident to please come forward.

"Thankfully, the victim’s injuries are non-life threatening, however this could’ve been a lot worse. We are determined to establish the full circumstances and bring those responsible to justice."

Anyone with information is asked to contact @MerPolCC, 101 quoting ref. 18200209822 or @CrimestoppersUK.