A girls’ guide to the best and worst of Bold Street

It’s the answer to your fashion faux-pas prayers

Bold Street fashion girls' guide to bold street levi's liverpool liverpool one vintage

Sod the fashion sheep and look no further than Liverpool’s answer to Brick Lane: Bold Street.

Nab stand-out pieces at a fraction of the high street’s same-old. A word of caution though: these pieces are often diamonds in the rough, and sometimes you’ve got to rummage through a whole load of crap to find a goodun’.

Here’s a shop-by-shop guide for gals of the best and worst picks Bold Street has to offer.

Resurrection – 27-29 Bold Street

For those of you who don’t know, Resurrection offers casual and street-wear fashion clothing, accessories and footwear across two floors adorned with music memorabilia. If rummaging for vintage clobber is your thang, this shop offers a plethora of unusual and unique bargain pieces.

In addition to Resurrection’s own label, they also offer various well-known brands such as Carhartt, Sugarhill Boutique, Vans and Glamorous. With famous fans including Samuel L. Jackson and Jared Leto, and with major Liverpool bands including the Zutons and The Coral as regulars, you would be mad not to check it out.

The Best

Classic stone-wash high waisted shorts, cut from genuine vintage recycled distressed 501 Levi Jeans. These trans-seasonal must-haves can be made to measure in store

Vintage floral pleated midi-skirt, a summery steal at just £5

Black high waisted A-line vintage mini skirt – only £25 for genuine leather

Suede high waisted A-line vintage mini skirt with popper detail, £25 – a complete bargain with Topshop identical priced at £75

Assortment of vintage-inspired necklaces, pendants, lockets, rings, scarves, chokers and bangles

The Worst

Opulent quilt

Property of Barney the Dinosaur

Not-so-sweet nostalgia

Soho’s – 80 Bold Street

You could describe Soho’s as a shop inside a shop. It may look small from the outside, but it’s a freakin’ tardis. Stretching across three floors and offering everything from current alternative fashion to eye-catching vintage, pin up to high street goth, tweed to velvet, floaty to fitted – you name it, it’s there.

Unbelievably low-priced vintage pieces span from 1950s-1980s eras, but the store is particularly abundant with 1950s inspired rockabilly and hell-bunny dresses (and a lot of crap).

The Best

This is actually a guy’s shirt but works just as well for a girl, £15. The store is bursting with paisley and floral print shirts in all textures to rival that of Urban Outfitters

Burgundy bomber jacket with tartan lining. This Topshop identical is available in multiple colours including black and navy, £29.99

Soho’s has a crazy amount of dresses, something to consider when looking for the summer ball if you want to ensure you don’t rock up in the same outfit as some other poor girl. This retro dress would be perfect for this year’s Gatsby theme and will curb that overdraft spending at just £15

The Worst

‘Is that your grandma’s coat’

It’s a no from me

Wait for it

Details

Accessorizing

X-MAS tree vibez

Cabbage patch kidz

Rocking up to the SJ…in this

Oxfam – 35-37 Bold Street

This charity shop prides itself in reflecting the spirit of Bold Street. The clothing stock is specially selected to focus on high street trends, original retro and designer labels. Sweet bargain pieces + a good cause = win win.

Of course there’s going to be some questionable, moth-eaten clothing, but that’s the fun of it. Don’t let all “the worst” pics put you off, there was just no changing room to take piccys.

The Best

Black high-shine wellies with stud detail, festival bargain at £5.99

The Worst

Velvet creation

Jazzier velvet creation

If pretzel made bags

Unimpressed

Prezzy for g-ma

Pop Boutique – 83 Bold Street

Pop Boutique is perfect for vintage newbies with its highly organised, uncluttered set-up. The shop recycles vintage clothing from the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s as well as reworking fabrics into gorgeous summery co-ords. Couldn’t fault anything here.

Floral ditzy-print dress, £28

90s pink and white gingham two-piece. Also available in black and blue gingham and numerous other prints. Top, £14, shorts, £16

90s blue circle top and trews two-piece, top £14, bottoms, £20

Pop boutique have a million dungaree hybrids (jean style, dress, shorts) at amazing prices, including this reworked Calvin Klein piece, £20

Orange palm tree sleeveless shirt with tie detail. Available in a number of patterns and colours, £14