University of Lincoln confirms that there is asbestos in buildings on campus

The substance was banned 20 years ago

Hide Images

A Freedom of Information request has revealed that the University of Lincoln is in the 86% of universities to respond confirming the presence of asbestos in their buildings.

The request was sent by Stephensons Solicitors LLP, who said: "Stephensons' personal injury team is calling on all universities to do more to provide students and staff with information on the deadly material if there is asbestos on campus or in student accommodation."

Asbestos fibres only become a health risk when they are released into the air and breathed in, so well maintained buildings should not present a risk.

However, damaged roofs, rotten windows and broken ceiling tiles can result in the dangerous fibres being released into the air.

If they're inhaled, they can cause serious illnesses such as asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.

A University of Lincoln spokesperson told the Lincoln Tab: "We manage asbestos through our Asbestos Management Policy, management surveys and a rigorous Asbestos Register.

"We ensure all maintenance and project work in our buildings is carried out in accordance with our policy."

Asbestos was commonly used before it was made illegal to manufacture and supply in 1999.

Despite it becoming illegal it can still be found in older buildings due to its previous popularity.

A spokesperson for the University continued: "Our students and staff are our first priority and all of the buildings they study, work and live in are safe."