Prince Edward opens university library

Lincoln’s Great Central Warehouse Library was honoured by a royal visit this Tuesday

His Royal Highness Prince Edward The Duke of Kent visited the University of Lincoln to open the new library extension this Tuesday.

Although the extension has been in use since the start of this academic year, Prince Edward’s visit marked the official opening ceremony, which has been commemorated with a plaque.

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, unveiling the plaque

The Prince also got the honour of touring the library’s new wing, which includes two new seminar rooms and extra study areas.

Librarian Ian Snowley said that library staff were “extremely pleased with our new facilities, which are particularly valuable in supporting the work of our student community”, adding that “it was an honour to take our royal visitor on a tour of our building”.

Plans to further the support the library provides are still on-going, as was announced at the last students’ union council.

The visit came as part of a larger tour around the Lincoln area, which saw the Prince visit Lincoln Castle and a heritage marker on the site of the medieval palace of the Bishops of Lincoln.