Leicester: A Gay Cruising Hotspot

Popular city spots like Highcross are frequently used by gay men looking to hook up anonymously

According to cruisinggays.com, Leicester has over 30 gay cruising hotspots.

Popular spots in the city centre include shopping centre, Highcross, more specifically the toilets located on the ground floor near Rackhams, and St. Margarets Bus Station toilets.

A cruising tip posted to the website says you should: “Stand at the urinals with your todger out and wait for someone to stand next to you and check you out, then go in the end cubicle.” Be cautious though, as the site says that some lads have been reported to the police.

For those who don’t know what cruising is, Urban Dictionary provides the following definition:

Friday and Saturday nights after 11pm prove the best, “when the clubs in the city start kicking out.” Though most action takes place “in the bushes and in the park.”

The site also suggests that Abbey Park Canal Tow Path and Rear Car Park are popular cruising spots. Other grounds in the city centre are Newarke Street and the Leicester Market Toilets, but town isn’t the only place.

Atypical locations include Shady Lane and the Waitrose Car Park.

There are only a handful of places close to the university though. The LivingWell Health Club on Welford Road, is a popular place for cruising in the early mornings or late evenings – near the saunas and steam rooms, of course.

Classy.

While a less classy place, the Victoria Park Loos, attracts an “assortment” of crowds, from Asians to straights, the middle cubicle with the big urinals is where the magic mostly takes place.

UoL has none on campus however, unlike UCL, which has recently been revealed by The Tab to be full of gay cruising hotspots with four of their university buildings being prime sites for hooking up.