Image may contain: Blackboard, Menu, Text

6 of the best food spots to take your vegan friends in Leeds

Rola Wala is just the dream tbh

Something that makes Leeds the delightful and special city it is, is its hefty and ever-expanding vegan culture. No matter what your preference of grub is, Leeds has pretty much got it covered for vegan dupes or just straight up top notch vegan food.

Among its many 100% vegan or vegetarian restaurants, there are a huge amount of food spots which cater to vegans and carnivores alike. So we don’t have to worry about dining out in a group of mixtures, or taking our cruelty-free bestie for a spot of lunch. I understand that just because your sister is a cruelty-free queen, doesn’t mean you have to be too. I don’t judge.

A huge amount of chain restaurants have rolled with the times and are expanding their menus to be inclusive of all patrons (Wetherspoons has a massive vegan menu and I’m so here for it); but we want to look at the independent spots who satisfy our vegan taste buds, as well as treating our meat-eater friends.

Some of these places are super affordable, too. So don’t worry if you’re on a budget but need a treat – I know exactly how you feel.

I am Döner

Image may contain: Bread, Dessert, Cream, Ice Cream, Creme, Food, Burrito

Honestly, I was sceptical ordering fake Döner meat, but I am Döner, my goodness. This is my not-so-guilty-pleasure. They have filled the gap of Döner meat with their vegan Döner seitan wheat meat *drools*, provided by the glorious Döner Summer (a Yorkshire based vegan pop-up, soon to appear on Deliveroo).

You can get a “Vöner” kebab, a salad box, a rice box or loaded fries WITH vegan mayo and all of the seitan Döner meat you could ask for. Of course, as well as their many meaty options. The dream.

Providing Headingley with a healthier, less-greasy kebab on a drunken walk home is worth a Nobel Prize, for sure.

23 Otley Rd, Leeds LS6 3AA

Fat Annie’s

Fat Annie’s lives in the Food Hall of the wholesome Kirkgate Market. Most of its hotdogs are meat-based but it does do vegan hotdogs with different toppings to fulfil your vegan hotdog needs.

One of their hotdogs is called Mr Green; he’s a vegetable based sausage and is flavoured with Chilli & Coriander. And the other is the Texas Jack, who is essentially a sloppy joe hotdog, but with jackfruit instead of meat. What more do we want, honestly.

They are New York inspired and do a lot of events in their New York style street cart through Manchester and Leeds, so if you haven’t had one yet, you probably will soon.

28-34 Ludgate Hill, Leeds LS2 7HY

Rola Wala

Although not specific to Leeds (there is one in London and another in Birmingham), Rola Wala’s Indian based cuisine is the star of Trinity Kitchen and holds a special place in my heart for serving their glorious Vegan Red Dal.

As well as their chicken and lamb dishes, Rola Wala serves loads of vegan options in either a sourdough naan roll, a grain bowl, or a low-carb cauliflower and kale bowl.

And because they are proper babes, they are doing “Feedanuary” – so when you buy one meal at Rola Wala, they provide a meal to a child living in poverty. So dreamy, can this place do no wrong?

Trinity Leeds, Albion St, Leeds LS1 5AY

Ecco Pizzeria

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmjdDWfg6U5

Not only is this place 100% the best authentic Neapolitan pizza in Leeds, it also recognised the demand for vegan catering and is killing the game for vegan pizza.

There are two vegan options on the menu, one including vegan cheese. But these guys will make anything vegan if you ask them to. Plus, all of the pizza bases can be made gluten free if you’re into that. There are really no limits.

The pizzas are huge and totally made for sharing, but you can have one side vegan and one side meaty, if you have a meat-eater pal. Perfecto.

93 Otley Rd, Leeds LS6 3PS

Tharavadu

Tharavadu loves to shout out that it’s Michelin recommended, but I completely understand, because they wholeheartedly deserve their success. Their menu is blummin' massive and they are not sparing with their vegan options.

Tharavadu’s food is from the southern Indian state, Kerala, so I guarantee it is unlike most Indian restaurants you’ve tried. Their chefs were born and brought up in Kerala so you know you’re getting authentic home cooking.

They also pride themselves on being healthy and having influences from mother-nature; which is just so pure.

7-8 Mill Hill, Leeds LS1 5DQ

Hyde Park Book Club

A staple to the Leeds student scene, is the charming and super-cool, Hyde Park Book Club. Ok, Ok, it’s all vegetarian and vegan. But it does some crackin’ meat substitutes, so who has to know?

“The Vegetarian Butcher”, uses THE BEST fake meat. Not only in Leeds, but like, the world. So this place would definitely satisfy our meat-eater pals whilst being its cruelty-free self.

It’s also just a really cool place to hang out. It hosts a lot of events from Jazz nights, to feminist coffee meetings and many more Leeds-esque occasions. Even if you aren’t vegan, if you’re a Leeds student, you really must pay a visit.

27-29 Headingley Ln, Leeds LS6 1BL

Thank you for being a true beauty of a city Leeds – vegan’s love you. X