Tragic death after Canal Mills ecstasy overdose
Teenager dies after taking a suspected drug overdose at popular venue Canal Mills
A 17-year-old carpentry student, Joseph Preston, died from a suspected drug overdose hours after allegedly taking ecstasy at the Metropolis night hosted by Canal Mills last week.
Police believe his condition deteriorated after heading to a friend’s house in Shipley, where he collapsed after consuming ecstasy and alcohol at the popular club.
Joseph’s friends called 999 and tried to resuscitate him, before an ambulance arrived and took him to Bradford Royal Infirmary where he died shortly afterwards, at 9am on Sunday morning.
West Yorkshire Police said the post-mortem examination was inconclusive and further tests will now be carried out to establish the cause of death.
Two 18-year-olds, understood to be friends of Joseph, were arrested on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs but have been released on bail.
An inquest into the death is expected to open later this week.
Steve Allison, a director at Canal Mills, said his staff had been helping police with their enquiries and provided officers with CCTV footage of “All areas of the venue”.
Joseph’s parents are keen for this to be a warning to others.
His father Ed said: “Joe had his whole life ahead of him and was lucky in that he would have had the support to fulfil his ambitions, but all that’s gone now. Joe’s gone now, we can’t bring him back. I just hope it’s a lesson for his friends.”
Joe’s mother Viv, added: “Don’t think it can’t happen to you.”