5 Reasons Why Living in a Sub-Zero Student House is Awesome

Cold houses can be every student’s worst nightmare, but it’s not all bad. SIMON EDMONDS explains why it’s cooler to be ice cold.

Unless your name is Ebenezer Scrooge, chances are you aren’t a huge fan of the cold.

Living in student housing, the majority of us face a constant battle from October through to the end of March as Jack Frost descends upon Leeds.

Some clever individuals are smart enough to get the bills included in their rent, allowing them to twist up the dial without catastrophic heating bills.

They’re missing out. Here are 5 reasons why living in a sub-zero house is awesome.

1. Pretending to be a Dragon

This person is obviously a seasoned professional

In some flats it genuinely gets cold enough in the height of winter to see your breath in the air.

Wouldn’t all you warm people love to proudly stomp around your room, shooting out an icy smog onto all the unsuspecting little men you’re picturing in your head?

No need to answer that, it’s obviously a yes.

Pro tip: Put a hoody on by only wearing the hood itself, then grab onto the sleeves and flap your arms around. This gives you the illusion of wings.

2. Getting to look fly 100% of the time

Joey knows what’s up

When it’s always cold inside it means you have an excuse to wear all your favourite clothes… all at the same time.

I have a few jackets I like to alternate between, and often find myself favoring one over the other when I go out publicly. Thanks to the cold, the less popular item of clothing doesn’t go neglected!

Plus you just get to look fabulous in your groovy get-ups, unlike all those people in warm flats who trot around in their pyjama bottoms.

Be jealous warm people.

3. Wilderness survivial training

A standard bath in a cold flat

Inevitably, when the zombie apocolypse hits, we are going to be forced to live it rough without electricity or proper heating systems.

When this day arrives, all you creeps with year-round warmth sure as heck aren’t mooching off of any of my rabbit or badger sandwiches.

Those of us currently subdued to these dingy conditions are strengthening our resistance to the impending frosted wasteland that naturally walks hand-in-hand with events of this nature.

Led by our lord and saviour, Bear Grylls, we will be strong enough to found a new society on the rubble and ashes of our contemporary environment.

Sure, during the summer it’s fair game. But come those deep winter nights who has the last laugh?

(it’s us, by the way)

4. Shivering is an amazing workout

See, it really works!

Tired of the lengthy queues at the gym? Sick of all the muscle-headed hulks starring you down when you’re trying to use the weight section?

Forget it! All you need to do is walk over to that nasty old thermostat on the wall and switch that bad-boy down to absolute zero.

You’ll start to feel the affects in minutes, as your body slowly begins to lose all feeling!

Within about 10 minutes your entire nervous system will be spasming like crazy, as your muscles start their extreme physio!

5. It’s actually warmer outside…

This man’s body has adapted to the cold, and look how happy he is!

This one is disturbingly true.

If your flat is really cold, when you go outside you’re either a) Less annoyed by how cold it is, or b) Not at all annoyed by how cold it is at all.

It will then be possible to go clubbing without a jacket in the depths of winter, simply because your body has adapted to the freezing conditions… although alcohol may be a factor.

This is a life skill, which could not be possessed without living in a ridiculously cold flat.