Students who protested at Israel Soc event now facing disciplinary action

Attendees from other unis will be banned from KCL

Campaigners involved in “violent” protests at an event hosted by the KCL and LSE Israel societies last month will face disciplinary action following a university investigation.

In a report detailing the investigation’s findings, the University concluded that protestors “crossed a line” on January 19 and should be “held accountable for doing so”.

Ian Creagh, Head of Administration and College Secretary, wrote: “They had a right to freedom of assembly, but that right was only protected whilst the protest was peaceful.”

Damage at the protest last month

His recommendations will see King’s students involved in protests against Israeli politician – and former Shin Bet security agency director –  Ami Ayalon face a disciplinary committee.

Meanwhile, protestors from other students will be banned from attending any future events at King’s.

A university statement said: “The report concludes there is sufficient evidence of misconduct which constitutes a major infringement of the regulations against those who chose to participate in the protest inside the Norfolk Building and recommends referral to a Disciplinary Committee.

“As the majority of the students involved in entering the Norfolk Building were not King’s students, we will assist other London institutions in any way we can to take action under their disciplinary procedures.”

The report also reveals that KCL Israel Society did not take sufficient measures to ensure the safety of the event, as they failed to ticket the event and turned down a larger room on Waterloo Campus to “maintain proximity to LSE” – which led to a risk of overcrowding.

As a result, “all relevant student society office holders” will undergo mandatory training on the correct policies and procedures for organising events at King’s.

Principal Ed Byrne, accepting the findings of the report, said: “We have a duty to uphold freedom of speech within the law and will fight against intolerance wherever it is found. Intimidating behaviour is completely unacceptable and goes against everything that we stand for at King’s.

“We do not, and will not, condone the use of any form of violent protest.”