DURFC former vice-treasurer convicted of assault and sexual assault

He has been committed to prison for a total of 38 weeks

Hide Images

The former vice-treasurer of the Durham University Rugby team has been convicted of assault and sexual assault.

Ben Mills received a suspended sentence, a restraining order, and was ordered to pay £500 in compensation after pleading guilty to the two charges.

Mills was committed to 12 weeks in prison, suspended by two years, after being convicted of one count of assaulting a female student by beating on 16 November 2017.

He was also convicted of intentionally sexually touching a woman, 16 or older, when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe she was consenting, for which he was committed to 26 weeks in prison, suspended by two years.

Mills was convicted at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates' Court on Thursday 10 May.

Owen Adams, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience), said: “Durham University is aware of the outcome of the magistrates’ court hearing. The University is now considering what action is required under its disciplinary regulations.

“We want all staff and students to feel safe and enjoy their time at Durham and if a member of our community experiences this, they will be supported.

“The University is taking significant steps to create a community where survivors are supported, while striving to eliminate sexual violence.”