Staff at Shack to breathalyse drunk clubbers

Going out tonight? Better get ready to blow

noad

From tonight onwards anyone believed to be intoxicated faces being asked to take a breathalyser test and refused entry to clubs, including Loveshack.

Jimmy A’s, Wiff Waff and Loveshack will be piloting the scheme which will see anyone over twice the legal drink-drive limit refused entry.

The amount is the equivalent of roughly four pints of beer or four small glasses of wine – bad news for those necking a bottle at formal.

The trial is part of a number of safety measures put in place by the City Safety Group who also commissioned a full review of riverside safety by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

Photo: Durham Constabulary

Terry Collins, City Safety Group Chair, said: “Whilst we appreciate this pilot is of significant public interest I would also like to make the point that it is just one of a wide range of measures we have introduced.

“We are working with the licenced trade and all our safety group partners to ensure our city stays safe, but I would reiterate that ultimately responsibility for how much you drink lies with the individual.”

This much for pre-drinks is maybe a bad idea

City pubwatch Chairman Andy Hughes said: “Most people drink sensibly and enjoy a safe night out but there are a very small minority of both locals and students who drink a lot before they hit the town. Maybe in the case of students they are inexperienced at the level of freedom they have when they get to university.

“My message would be think carefully and enjoy yourself but always be aware of the impact alcohol has and the potential consequences.”

The breathalysing, done by trained members of staff, will also take place at Whiskey River, The John Duck, and local haunt The Fighting Cocks.