ELVET RIVERSIDE LECTURES CANCELLED TOMORROW

All teaching activites scheduled to take place in Elvet Riverside 1 and 2 tonight and tomorrow have been cancelled due to major flood damage.

The university has decided to close Elvet Riverside for the remainder of the term to allow repair-work to begin. Any teaching timetabled to take place in the building on Friday 30th November will be rescheduled to later in the term. All activity scheduled in the building from 6pm today has also been cancelled.

From Monday onwards, teaching scheduled to be in Elvet Riverside 1 and 2 will be relocated to other sites across the university.

Elvet Riverside on Monday

Today, the conditions at Elvet Riverside were certainly not ideal for teaching. Recent flooding has caused serious damage to the heating and electrical systems throughout the building.

“It was absolutely freezing,” remarked one student. “We were all so cold we had to keep our coats and scarves on in the lecture.”

Modern Languages student Nick said, “There was no heating or water so you couldn’t even go to the toilet. It was not acceptable.”

Dr Edward Welch, Head of the School of Modern Languages, for which all teaching takes place in Elvet Riverside, noted that “monitoring of attendance at classes will continue during the period of relocation.

“I’m very sorry for the disruption and inconvenience that will be caused by the closure of the building. However, the safety and wellbeing of staff and students is our priority, and these measures are essential in the current circumstances.”

Further information will be available in due course via the University’s website homepage which will be regularly updated. Students are advised to monitor their emails and the University website over the weekend to keep to date with developments.