College football round-up – the story so far

NIKOS YEROLEMOU has the run down.

college football football

As The Tab predicted here, Jesus and St John’s have come flying out of the blocks and lead the way at the top of the college league with 9 points each from their opening three games.

As The Tab also predicted here, St Catz and Kings have struggled for form this season and sit at the foot of the table with no points each.

Kings may not have the best team but they still have the best chapel

The surprise packages this season have been Downing and Selwyn, who have both started in fine form to build the foundations of a possible title charge.

Downing have won all three of their league matches and their Cuppers match without conceding a goal, which places them in a strong position to push on with matches against Johns and Selwyn coming up. Selwyn have also made an impressive start in the league with 7 points from their opening three league games.

Is Downing’s garish kit putting off opponents?

The shock of this season so far came in the first round of Cuppers where fourth division Sidney Sussex knocked last season’s league runners-up Caius 3-1. Their reward is a second round tie against league leaders Jesus.

In Division 2 Girton have picked up where they left off last season and currently sit top of the league, a point ahead of Churchill and two ahead of Queens, although they have played a game more; if Girton continue this form they could be looking at a second consecutive promotion and a return to the Premier division for the first time in years.

As far as the league is concerned, however, it appears that there are no surprises in store unless Downing can continue their impressive form and pick up their first title since 2011-12.