Rugby League look to turn Varsity fortunes after club restructure

After last year’s thrashing by Oxford, the club have a lot to prove.

Cambridge nikos yerolemou Rugby Sport

Cambridge University Rugby League Football Club (CURLFC) has announced a series of changes to the club, with high hopes that these can bring another strong BUCS performance and a long-awaited Varsity win in the forthcoming season.

The 2013-14 season saw CURLFC come first in their BUCS division, winning all five of their matches by a total margin of 146 points, but disappointingly the club lost 40-0 to Oxford in the showpiece event of the year.

Ouch

The changes have been rung at the club with hopes that they will bring CURLFC their first Varsity win since 2009; Mark Ramsdale, a former CURLFC player and a club Vice-President, has been appointed as General Manager whilst the term ‘Amateur’ has been dropped from the club name.

It is hoped that Ramsdale’s experience and the growing professionalization around the club will help in recruiting some talented players this year:

“I’m very excited to be getting more involved with my old club” said Ramsdale.

They’ve been in need of a good group hug

“It is essential for rugby league to have a strong presence at Cambridge University, so players who know the game can support those who are new to it.”

Regarding the name change, Club President, final year Medic Tom Hughes, added: “Dropping the Amateur from our name was a big step for the club.

We recognise it is an emotive subject for the sport, and was a requirement from those who oversaw University sport at Cambridge when we were first founded.”

I WILL BITE YOUR THIGH

They’ll be hoping that the changes attract more players to their trials on 11th October.

After mixed recent fortunes for this 35-year old club, let’s hope they can live up to their name.