Survey Creep: Could You Fitz the Bill?

Got your number? Scams to extract personal information on the rise in Cambridge, reports JACK MCCONNEL.

harassment in cambridge personal details scam in Cambridge

Scammers are roaming the streets of Cambridge in the hope of seducing unsuspecting students.  

These tricksters pretend to conduct street surveys, using the excuse to collect personal information which they then use to harass students.

Speaking to The Tab, Annie Nymous, a second-year Economist whose name has been changed, relived the ordeal of a suspected scam attempt.

“I was just past Sainsbury’s and a nice man came up to me saying he was conducting a lifestyle survey, so I answered his questions.

“I didn’t think it was weird that he asked for my number or address but I didn’t give those details to him out of principle.”

On the very same day, Fitz scrambled to warn students about another person who found herself in a bit of a mare after giving away her mobile and room number to an unknown ‘interviewer’ outside Tatties.

An innocent tourist or a depraved scammer?

Head Porter John Eisold divulged that, “a male approached students outside Tatties claiming he was conducting a survey.

“He managed to obtain personal information from a student who had given him her mobile number and her college room number.

“He then proceeded to harass her.”

An official from the University Security Office told The Tab that it was “aware of a recent instance” involving harassment following a scam.

However, an email sent to Downing students warns of several “recent incidents”, indicating an epidemic.

Downing instructed students to “be very cautious about giving out your personal details until you are satisfied that you have been approached by a legitimate interviewer”.

This follows hot on the heels of the damning results of a survey conducted by CUSU Women’s Campaign.

Fitz second-year MML-er, Kit Heren told The Tab that “people should probably be careful about who they give their personal information to”.

What do you think of these revelations? Have you experienced similar treatment at the hands of these scammers?