Image may contain: Roof, Worship, Church, Cathedral, Building, Architecture

Fourth year Bristol electrical and engineering student confirmed dead

The university are encouraging those who need help to come forward

Bristol University today confirmed that a fourth year electrical and engineering student has died suddenly.

Reporting on the story, The Bristol Post alleged that the student fell from the Clifton Suspension Bridge on Saturday, April 21, with police officers closing the Portway and bridge for several hours that afternoon.

Whilst the cause of death is yet to be confirmed in an inquest, the news comes at a time when the university is under increased media focus over a number of student deaths. Since September 2016, it is believed that at least six students at UoB and two more at UWE have taken their own lives. A further inquest into another student death is currently ongoing.

In a statement, a university spokesman said that they they had spoken to the family of the deceased student and that they were requesting privacy at the current time.

They said: "We are not aware of any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and the Coroner will hold an inquest in due course.

"It is immensely distressing for members of our University community to learn that one of our students has died, and we know it will be especially difficult for those who knew and studied" alongside the student.

"We would encourage any students or staff who are affected by this tragic news to contact University support services as well as seek support from friends or family. Information about the help and support available can be found on our website under our staff and student pages."

If you are experiencing any kind of mental health issue which you believe is causing you dangerous levels of stress – please, do not suffer alone. The help is ready and available for those who require it.

If you wish to get help, a list of all the Bristol services open to students can be found here.

Samaritans have an invaluable helpline- 116 123- that is open 24/7. Their website can be found here.

Whilst The Tab were informed of the student's identity, out of respect for his friends and family we have declined to name him here.