Calling all Manchester freshers! Here’s everything you need to do in your uni city today

Welcome to a city most people dream of living in

Well done – you’ve made it into uni in Manchester! Welcome to a city most people dream of living in because of its incredible night life, famous curry houses and renowned LGBTQ+ bar and clubs. As a Manchester student, you’ll have all this and more to explore when you arrive.

Before you get stuck in, you might want to think about a student bank account. The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. To apply for a NatWest Student account – visit natwest.com/students.
*Student account eligibility criteria apply. Apply online only. Offer Terms and Conditions apply. £50 cash is a limited time offer until 5th November 2021. Offer can be withdrawn at any time.

Manchester is a big city and there are loads of options for student housing, food stops, bars, clubs and sites to see. To save you the faff of having to do all this research on your own, we’ve put together a big guide to Manchester with top recommendations from Manchester students themselves.

The best places to live

Withington

Price: ££££       Noise level: ||       Supermarkets: Sainsbury’s

This is a quieter version of Fallowfield with nice houses – often a favourite among third years and post-grads. Withington is also a bit further out, being a 45 minute walk from uni or a 20 minute bus.

City Centre

Price: ££££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Morrisons, Sainsbury’s

The City Centre is a great option for anyone wanting to be in the heart of Manchester. It’s on the louder side and further from uni but the cycle lanes throughout the city make cycling to and from campus much easier. If you did want to take a bus it would be a 20-30 minute journey.

Fallowfield

Price: £££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Sainsbury’s

Fallowfield is a very popular location for Manchester Uni students. This makes it a social hub but also in high demand when it comes to finding housing. It’s got a decent number of local shops and it’s only a 25 minute walk from uni, making it super convenient.

Rusholme

Price: ££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Lidl, Tesco

Rusholme is home to the Curry Mile – a road full of Pakistani, Indian and Middle Eastern restaurants which comes alive at night. This area is less student-filled than Fallowfield but a great atmosphere. It’s also only a five-ten minute walk from uni.

Moss Side

Price: ££       Noise level:      Supermarkets: Asda

This is a very residential area and so isn’t as popular among students, however it’s a good option for anyone looking for some peace and quiet at uni. It’s also only a ten minute bus ride from campus.

Wanting to keep your budget in check? The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info and to apply, visit natwest.com/students.

Food spots

Close to uni:

KRO Bar on Oxford Road – they have delicious brunch deals every day

Joshua Brooks on Princess Street – tastecard offer available 

Kej’s on Wilmslow Road – an iconic kebab shop and one of the few food places open really late

Red Chilli on Oxford Road – their crispy aromatic duck is a favourite dish

Christie’s Bistro in The Old Quadrangle – tastecard offer available 

256 Wilmslow Road on Wilmslow Road – this place is dirt cheap, always busy and a student favourite in Fallowfield

Tzatziki’s on Wilmslow Road

DreamWok in Fallowfield – super cheap noodles and amazing for students on a budget

Fuel on Wilmslow Road

Hatch on Oxford Road – a Shoreditch, Box Park vibe with loads of food places and bars

Worth the journey:

HAUS on Landcross Road  – does mouth-watering pizza and doubles as a small bar

Moose Coffee on York Street

All Star Lanes on Deansgate – tastecard offer available

Home Sweet Home on Edge Street – a hot spot for brunch on a Sunday

Crazy Pedro’s on Bridge Street

Mylahore on the Curry Mile – a royal favourite as William and Kate went when they came to Manchester

Sugar Junction on Tib Street

Zumu X Dive Cafe in Northern Quarter – tastecard offer available 

Wolf at The Door in Northern Quarter – go here for £1 Bao Buns and Tacos

Are you a big foodie? With a NatWest Student account*, you get the offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Where to grab a drink

The Friendship Inn in Fallowfield – this place is universally loved as being the “only decent pub in Fallow”

The Font on Wakefield Street – they have £2 cocktails here that can’t be missed

Squirrel’s Bar in Owens Park – if you’re in halls in Fallowfield and looking for a cheap drink, this is your place

The Great Central on Wilmslow Road

Studio Bar on Wilmslow Road – this is the best place to catch the football games with your mates

The Blue Pig in Northern Quarter

Big Hands on Oxford Road – they have an impressive rooftop terrace with a perfect sunset-view

YES on Charles Street – this place does great live music nights and decent happy hours

G-A-Y on Canal Street – one of the most famous gay bars in the country and it has half price drinks Monday to Thursday

Night out spots 

F//ck Thursdays

Location: Factory       When: Thursday       Music: Pop, Indie, Dance

Revolución de Cuba

Location: Revolución de Cuba       When: Wednesday       Music: Latin and Spanish music

Skint

Location: 42’s       When: Tuesday       Music: Indie, Rock&Roll

Warehouse Project

Location: Store Street       When: Weekly       Music: Depends on the DJs or acts playing

PARTY

Location: Hidden       When: Monthly       Music: Hip Hop, Grime, Techno, House

AU Wednesdays

Location: Revolution, Parsonage Gardens       When: Wednesday       Music: Charts, Pop, RnB, Hip Hop

Applebum

Location: O2 Ritz       When: Monthly       Music: Hip Hop, RnB, Garage

Lord of The Tings

Location: Various venues       When: Monthly       Music: Hip Hop, Garage, Grime, Afrobeats

Thinking of setting up a Student account? You could save on your late-night takeaways with a NatWest Student account* as it comes with an offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Transport

Taxis: Uber, Street Cars

Walking: Manchester is big so get ready to do a lot of walking, especially after first year

Bus services: Magic Bus – it’s worth getting your bus pass (UniRider) if you’re planning on using it more than twice a day

Manchester students’ top tricks and tips

“If you’re looking for a good night out, try the Warehouse Project”

“Get yourself some warm clothing! Manchester is freezing and very rainy in winter”

“Don’t just hang about in Fallowfield, the Northern Quarter has loads to explore”

“Houses go fast so find your place as early as you can”

Make the most of the city. With a NatWest Student account* you receive an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways, cheaper cinema tickets and more. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Your mini bucket list for the city

• Go to Old Trafford and explore Manchester United Football Club’s museum

• Explore the Curry Mile and enjoy a curry, of course

• Go to Parklife – a huge festival in Manchester that every student attends in the summer

• Wonder down Deansgate for a night out – it’s a strip of a few great clubs

• Watch the Manchester Derby at least once

• Check out Canal Street – it’s at the centre of Manchester’s Gay Village and filled with great bars

• Explore the Northern Quarter (NQ) – there are loads of vintage shops

• Check out the iconic Gay Village, a key part of Manchester’s history

• Got to the People’s History Museum and the Whitworth Gallery