Just 20 reasons why you shouldn’t work in the ASSL, as if you needed them

Get me out of this hell hole

On top of spending every waking moment at the Lash or bathing in tropical VKs, we’re also expected to knuckle down and get a 2:1 in the world’s worst study setting – the Arts and Social Studies Library.

It’s not nice and it’s not fair. So here’s literally a list of reasons why the ASSL is the worst and should be avoided at all costs:

Forget the ASSL – with comfy seats, WiFi, hot drinks and snacks, Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street is the perfect place to study – find out more about it here

1. It’s the ugliest building on God’s green Earth

Doesn’t this look like an inspirational place to spend the best years of your life?

The ASSL was either built in the 1970s or has been transported from some Handmaid’s Tale-esque post-apocalyptic world where flat is a shape and emotions are illegal. 

2. The inside is grim too

Apart from the first floor, the ASSL has barely had a spruce since Victorian times. All the furniture precedes the English Civil War and certainly wouldn’t pass any modern health and safety tests. The plaster on the walls could also be obliterated by a badly-aimed sneeze.

3. Even the view is bad

Knock it down

It’s impossible to escape ugliness anywhere near the ASSL – any beauty is sucked into its vortex. If you’re outside the ASSL you can see it, which is ugly, and the view from inside is of the almost-as-ugly Psychology Tower looming over you like a beacon of misery. There’s no getting away from it.

4. The staircase feels like a prison

It’s all exposed brick so it feels like it’s either unfinished (likely), or inside an awful Soviet dungeon (also likely).

5. They’re also absolutely exhausting

Why is the staircase to get to the top floor so tiring? Is it because of the overall death-aura of the ASSL sucking the life out of us like some kind of dementor-in-building-form?

Take yourself away from this nightmare – with free WiFi, tea, coffee and popcorn, Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street has everything you need to smash that study sesh

6. There is never anywhere to sit

Actually though

If you can’t sit and work in the actual library then what is it there for? Walking round aimlessly with all my bags and folders isn’t going to push me up to that 2:1 my mum is pressuring me to get.

7. The desk layout is plain weird

That line of desks by the toilets is always occupied by awkward acquaintances who you have to proffer a thin, unconvincing smile to. You know they know you’re on the way to the loo. You now have to rush your toilet trip, lest they think the worst.

8. The aisles between shelves are stupidly narrow

Just getting crushed to death NBD

It’s awkward enough making eye contact with a stranger, let alone having to basically rub your entire body against someone else’s when you squeeze past. Who needs Bumble eh?!

9. The law floor gives lawyers a false sense of superiority

Law students are given their own special glass pen because they can’t be around us regular heathens. The glass is only about three feet high anyway so all it does is make them seem like they’re in a weird, boring zoo.

Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street is the ideal place to meet up with mates, work and relax – check out their open day on 8th March

10. The nonsense that happens when you forget your ID card

Nothing makes you feel more like dirt than having to fill in that silly little slip just to get into the ugliest building in Wales, and being made to do so by a judgemental jobsworth who doesn’t care whether you live or die.

11. The complete and utter lack of plugs

These are literally the only plugs in the whole library

The ASSL is so old and decrepit that it was seemingly built before electricity was invented, when everyone hand-wrote their dissertations and sent carrier pigeons instead of Snapchats.

12. The temperature is never, ever acceptable

It’s never comfortable – it’s either like being in a fridge, or like being slowly microwaved.

13. The glass-fronted group study rooms expose you to the whole library

What better way to showcase the extraordinary, explosive demise of your project group’s harmony, than by putting it on display to the entire world?

Have no fear – you can do your group project without getting stared at by the whole library – find out more about Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street here

14. The red chairs in the foyer are pointless

No one sits on them for a reason; you can’t chat there without being told to shut up, and you’ll give yourself crippling back pain if you try and use the miniature tables to work on.

15. You can’t leave your stuff unattended for five seconds

It is so indescribably annoying having spent ages hunting for a seat, then coming back from lunch to find the librarians have moved all your stuff and your seat has been taken by some random fresher.

16. The other people are selfish to the point of evil

Oh sick, a big table that could easily fit four people! Perfect for a group project! Or, perfect for Angus in his flip-flops, shorts and a rugby hoodie to line up his 20 million protein shakes! People like you are the reason I’m working on the floor.

Have all the space you need, as well free WiFi, snacks, hot drinks and treats at Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street

17. Everything is broken

You and me both fella

There are always caution signs dotted around because at least one window or glass wall is cracked or shattered at any given time. Spending over eight seconds in the ASSL will make anyone want to hurl themselves at the walls in terror and frustration.

18. The librarians are the sassiest, loudest people in existence

They’re on a power trip, shushing anyone who even blinks, but will happily have an astonishingly loud mother’s meeting. God forbid you need to find a book – you’ll be patronised to death.

19. It stinks

As well as looking like it, the ASSL smells like the 1970s – the combined odours of old, damp books, decaying furniture and carpet, and sweat is enough to throw anyone back to a time when mince was a main food group.

20. The toilets stink more

It’s physically impossible to breathe in there.

Let’s face it – the ASSL is the worst place to work in Cardiff, but Fusion’s Shop at 99 Queen Street has everything Eclipse residents and their mates need to smash that study sesh

Visit the Fusion Shop open day on 8th March – there’ll be a live DJ, food, drinks and a chance to win £100 in their spin the bottle competition

Find out more about Fusion’s Cardiff Shop at 99 Queen Street here