It’s now easier to get paid back by your mates

One in eight uni houseshares argue because of money

We’ve all forgotten our online banking password or got fed up with a friend for paying us back in handfuls of loose change.

Whether it’s for the monthly electricity bill or for the drunk taxi ride home last night, getting money off of your friends can be a painful process.

To settle this once and for all, there’s now an app you can use to send and receive money from your mates as easily as sending a text. If you have the iPhone update you can actually send it as a text too through iMessage.

Circle launched last year and is now at every uni in the country – making sending money as easy and as quick as using Google. 

Don’t be known as the person who never pays people back

Download Circle

Durham’s Hannah Frost started using the app this summer and is now a brand ambassador for Circle. She reckons the app is going to remove the stress of sending money to other people.

She said: “Being able to use a Whatsapp style chat means the awkwardness around money is erased.”

Circle’s easy-to-use app has removed the need for leaving passive aggressive notes on the fridge as you can send reminders to your friends with emojis, GIFs and messages instead. 

Hannah has got her house in Durham hooked on the app. She said: “We use Circle in my house, if someone buys something then we all just pay them back with it.

“We used it when we went out for a meal, one person paid and every else just texted me their share of the bill so I didn’t forget. It saves us all having to hand over our cards or cash, individually typing in our pins or asking for change.”

There’s no need to leave those passive aggressive notes on the fridge anymore

Download Circle

You don’t need a password, just use your thumbprint like you’re unlocking your phone.

Hannah said: “It’s really safe, you don’t have to give out any details like account numbers or sort codes.”

Big groups and societies use Circle as an easy way to pay for socials and training sessions.

Zak Alibhai, Circle’s ambassador in Manchester, said: “The app is used by societies to pay for weekly training sessions instead of members having to make sure they have the correct change.

“It’s simple and easy to transfer money, and you can add text, photos and even a GIF to amuse your mates while you take their cash.”

Isabella Norris, a Circle brand ambassador and Southampton student, reckons the app is perfect for uni life. She said: “It’s such an easy way to sort out who owes who what without the faff of account numbers, sort codes and setting up a new payee.

“The nature of the app is to make paying people a less awkward task.”

If you still owe your mate on their year abroad a tenner for a ticket they paid for, Circle allows you to send money in pounds, dollars, euros and bitcoin at cheaper rates than the ones given to you by the bank.

Circle makes sending money work the way the internet does: instantly, globally and for free.

Zak said, “Society is moving into a digital age and with paying cashless becoming the norm, students need an easier and effortless way of transfer money to each other. It can help prevent the issue of never being paid back.”

When you join, you will receive £5 with a friends’ referral code and when you refer your mate, you will both get £5.

Zak said: “Every so often there comes an app that everyone seems to have on their phone; Circle will be one of them. The app takes away the pain of asking for bank details, the signup process alone takes less time than setting up a new contact to pay, plus it’s mutually beneficial for the £5.”

You’ve got no excuses for not paying your friends back

Download Circle Pay