An expert’s guide to nailing your assessment centre

From the amount of eye contact you give to the strength of your handshake, we’ve got you covered

From what to wear, to the strength of your handshake, an assessment centre might be the most pressurised situation you’ve ever experienced.

To help make this process less stressful (and to increase the likelihood of you getting a job), we’ve worked with a team of experts at the ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) to bring you tips on how to nail your assessment centre.

As leading experts in their field and with hundreds of alumni in top jobs for globally-recognised brands from Coca-Cola and Shell, to Santander, they know exactly how to get you into your first job.

Learn more about ACCA

Work the room

Unleash the social butterfly within, this is your Great Gatsby moment.

During lunch or coffee breaks, you should float between conversations with the assessors and other candidates. Show you’re not afraid of meeting new people and putting yourself out there.

While it can be tempting to only socialise with the other grads, you may miss an opportunity to find out more about the company and build a rapport with the assessors – make yourself stand out.

Stick to the dress code

At school there was always someone who forgot to wear home clothes on non-uniform day. They might have got away with it then by not paying a pound, but assessors aren’t so forgiving. Getting the dress code right is key to giving a successful first impression.

This might sound obvious but so many candidates still fall short when it comes to clothing. ACCA recommends polishing your shoes and ensuring you’ve got an ironed shirt for the interview.

Refer to the brief

If you’re given an agenda, read through it twice, make sure you understand it and refer back to it wherever possible.

For example, if you are briefed to consider the impacts of Brexit on a small business, act as the small business. Show the assessors you know what you’re talking about by using examples and numbers from case studies.

Don’t generalise or look at the macro implications, the assessors want to know you can follow a brief and provide critical thinking in different contexts from every perspective. Keep it contextual and relevant.

Keep up with what people are saying

You’ve got a lot to focus on, is your top button done up? Is your shirt tucked in properly? What time are the Love Island replays?

It’s tempting to focus on what you’re going to say next, but make sure you’re keeping up with the current conversation so that when somebody asks your opinion you’re ready with a killer point.

Starting a new line of conversation quickly can abruptly eliminate the ability for others in the group to contribute – making you look bad!

Step-by-step arguments

Structure all of your points in a clear and concise way. Nobody wants to hear your Kanye West style stream of consciousness.

Take a moment to think and build a convincing argument.

Eye contact

Maintain eye contact when addressing someone, in a working environment don’t act all coy and distant – you aren’t on a first date.

Experts say seventy per cent is the ideal length of eye contact to give your assessors and the other candidates the impression you’re confident, listening and engaged.

Be personable

You know that really overbearing Aunty you have over for Christmas. Don’t be her.

All the same, when you’re speaking to the group be enthusiastic and welcoming, use positive, open body language.

Nod and smile when you agree with someone’s point, but try not to fidget or act impatiently when trying to enter the discussion.

People love it when you remember their name

You never think you’re going to do it, but forgetting somebody’s name is the worst way to start a working relationship. As soon as you can, quickly scribble their name down with a brief description of what they look like.

Make sure you include others in discussions by referring to them by name and mentioning the point they’ve made.

You don’t need to speak all the time

As tempting as it is, the assessors aren’t interested in your internal monologues or your take on Brexit.

Share the spotlight – you won’t be able to get all of your points across, fewer well-constructed arguments are better than dominating a discussion and looking like you’re overcompensating for your 2:2.

Don’t be cocky

There’s always one guy who thinks he’s the big dog, he seen an episode of The Apprentice and now he’s ready to dominate the boardroom. He’s mistaken ego for personality, interrupting everyone at a moments notice and thinking he knows best.

Inevitably though, no-one likes a know-it-all.

If you come across as too arrogant people won’t be able to relate to you and more importantly, agree with you. Be confident but humble and ensure you listen carefully.

Learn more about ACCA

Like their Facebook page

Follow ACCA on Instagram