I went on a ride along with a takeaway delivery driver

‘I delivered to a strip club once…that was interesting’

Sussex first year Frederic Lawrence delivers gourmet takeaways from top restaurants to houses across Brighton.  

The Economics and International Relations fresher worked for Deliveroo in London over the summer and now works in Brighton balancing his delivery lifestyle alongside his studies.

Fred said: “I worked in London, Mayfair, Marylebone and Soho area and I did that all of summer and it was the best summer job I’ve ever had. 

“In Soho delivery men get chatted up quite a lot, someone asked me my number once.

“Generally people are very nice and kind and they tip you a lot.”

I caught up with Fred whilst collecting Nachos from Brighton’s Mexican street food restaurant La Choza to deliver during the prime lunchtime shift.

Fred said: “I delivered to a strip club once…that was interesting. I had to wait in the reception obviously.

“They ordered steak and a really expensive bottle of wine.

“There was one order I did in Marylebone and they asked me to get it from ASK Italian when they lived next door to the restaurant – I didn’t even have to use my bike.”

The takeaway hero claims that the money he makes from working his usual three hour shift would take him up to 5-6 hours at any other company.

He said: “The hours are really manageable it’s only three hours of your evening from 6-9pm, it’s not hard and it’s really convenient.”

Find out if Deliveroo are hiring in your area, apply to become a Deliveroo driver. 

Collecting Nachos out La Choza

The Economics fresher who grew up in Poplar revealed his favourite place to eat in Brighton is MEATliquor and that he frequently gets food freebies whilst waiting on orders.

Fred said: “My biggest order was huge,  the pizza boxes were so heavy that my bike kept tipping backwards.

“It was such a struggle – thankfully it wasn’t too far and I got a £10 tip.”

Fred’s fellow Deliveroo Driver Juilano joined us.

The Sussex fresher loves Brighton’s diverse nightlife and goes out most nights after his 6-9pm shifts.

He said: “Patterns is a really good club and Concord is a really good venue. The Green Door is also really good for funk and soul.

“The seafront however is actually terrible, they have a night called C-U-N-T as in C U Next Tuesday, they also have another nightclub called Trash.”

The first year also revealed the speedy nature of his application process to work for Deliveroo.

Fred said: “The first time I applied for the job, I just got back from Dour festival in Belgium at 9am and my mum was nagging me to get a job.

“At 10am I sent off an application form and by 11am they had told me to come in for an interview.

” At 11:30 I was like to my mum “Yeah I’ve got a job now mum – you can stop nagging.””

The keen cyclist revealed he’s currently saving his earnings for a post-exam trip to Berlin with his housemates.

Looking for a job that suits your student lifestyle? Apply to be a Deliveroo driver today.