How to dress for every kind of interview

What did they mean when they said smart casual?

You’re sitting on a sweaty tube at 8:30am on the way to your interview. The panic about your outfit choice starts to set in. Are you wearing the right shoes? Should you have worn lipstick? Should you have gone for the thin tie? Is the pocket square too much? Are you dressed too smart?

First impressions count, so nailing your outfit is of top priority when preparing for any interview. Here’s what you should be wearing:

Banking

Hani Pascal Legris, Investment Consultant

Suave Manchester economics graduate Hani said: “If you’re not sure, always dress one level smarter than you think you should.”

A good act to follow for your interview at Goldman Sachs.

Advertising

Lucy Wong, Account Executive

The adorable Bristol grad said: “For me, dressing smart increases productivity.”

Take inspiration from Lucy’s smart outfit and smash your interview.

Prep for you interview with expert interview tips and advice at reed.co.uk

Media

Cat Reid, Journalist

The stylish Liverpool graduate said: “You should always want to make a good impression, so make sure you’re not scruffy.

“You can always dress down a little when you’ve started and know what the workplace dress code is like.”

Leala-Rain Shonaiya, Receptionist

The wavy employee said: “Being comfortable is key.”

Nickesh Patel, Front of House Manager

Altering your outfit to cater for the industry is a vital tip to take into account when prepping for your interview.

Unsure what to do after graduation? Visit reed.co.uk for advice and guides on career options. 

Finance

Allan Lumetenga, Business Analyst

The slick Westminster graduate said: “For me, interview dress code is suit, tie and smart shoes.”

Accessorise your suit by incorporating handkerchiefs and tie clips, both practical and aesthetically pleasing.

Dominic Harris, Collateral Optimisation Trader

The handsome Manchester grad said: “Make sure your shoes are shined – it will be the first thing most people look at, don’t think you can hide them under the table.”

Download a free template at reed.co.uk to make sure your CV is up to scratch.

Sales

Alice Sara Lovell, Sales Director

Southampton graduate Alice said: “Dress not too corporate, smart casual but make sure it’s classic.

“If you wear trousers wear heels, if you wear a skirt or dress go for ankle boots.”

Creative

Stella Kattermann, Junior Creative

The UCL History grad adjusts her outfit to fit the job title – being daring and imaginative with outfits highlights individual creativity and style.

Production/Researcher

Daisy Higgins, Production Runner

Classy Liverpool grad Daisy said: “TV generally has a pretty laid back dress code but you still need to be well presented, especially for an interview.

“Don’t be silly and wear new shoes otherwise you’ll end up with giant blisters.”

Hospitality

Vanessa Megaro, Resident life Assistant

Bio-Med grad Vanessa tailors her look to suit  the nature of the industry – smartening up her outfit but not in an overly formal way.

For great interview tips, career advice and jobs visit reed.co.uk